AC compressor not engaging properly

Started by Fearless1, August 15, 2016, 10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fearless1

AC compressor comes on for only a second or two, fan stays on. 6.5 GenSet idles and when it engages, compressor will come on_disengages - compressor off. Suggestions?  i??  Had previously been working Great-Yesterday. Aimed the Temp Gun into the unit at the discharge â€" 33. That's pretty cold, Aye?
Fearless1 - Just like my 26 lb. "Texas Miniature Chihuahua," Bambi-aka-Miss Priss
Be Alert!.....The world needs more lerts!

Rickf1985

The generator should not be idling. If it is idling then it is not putting out voltage hence the compressor will shut off as will the fan. The generator should run at 1800 RPM all the time, there should not be an auto idle on an RV genset. If the air is 33 degrees then the fan is either on low or not turning at full speed and the compressor is shutting down on temperature. That would be normal.

Fearless1

What would make the GenSet run at idle, engage a second or two, then return to idle? Carburetor? Gremlins? Fan stays running on high.
Fearless1 - Just like my 26 lb. "Texas Miniature Chihuahua," Bambi-aka-Miss Priss

Rickf1985

Are you plugged into shore power while this is going on? The fan cannot possibly stay on high or run at all on the generator if the generator goes to idle. AC power is a factor of engine RPM so idle RPM is not producing any usable power. Are you sure you are not hearing a load change and not an RPM change?

DaveVA78Chieftain

What model generator?  Newer inverter generators (e.g. Honda 2KW Inverter) will change speed because the voltage and frequency is not speed dependent.  Their speed is amperage (load) driven.  That's why those things are so quiet.
[move][/move]

Rickf1985

AHA! I was assuming! that it was a 6.5 Onan.

Fearless1

Yes, it's a 6.5 Onan, original. No Shore AC - Boon-docking. By "engaging" I mean the sound changes like it is under a load. Before, it would always have to "warm-up" a for a minute or two before it would “power-up” the AC. If I turned the AC on before it “warmed-up,” it would not come on. Leaving the switch on, the AC would come on when it did “warm-up” -  “engage.” If AC switch was on before GenSet started, “warm-up” would occur and then “engage.”

legomybago

Quote from: Fearless1 on August 16, 2016, 12:46 PM
Yes, it's a 6.5 Onan, original. No Shore AC - Boon-docking. By "engaging" I mean the sound changes like it is under a load. Before, it would always have to "warm-up" a for a minute or two before it would “power-up” the AC. If I turned the AC on before it “warmed-up,” it would not come on. Leaving the switch on, the AC would come on when it did “warm-up” -  “engage.” If AC switch was on before GenSet started, “warm-up” would occur and then “engage.”
Sounds like your explaining the "Time Delay" relay inside your converter. After you fire up the genny, it usually takes 30 seconds or so before it will switch the 110v on inside the converter. The converter defaults automatically to "Shore Power" when not in use.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Fearless1

Sounds like the problem is probably the converter. Going looking for it in a minute. Thought it had to be some kind of relay, thought it might be on GenSet, but couldn't find it. Good reason Aye? D:oH! [size=78%][/size] Glad I stopped looking. [size=78%][/size] :)rotflmao