727 What type of Transmission fluid to use?

Started by Rusty2867, August 14, 2016, 06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty2867

I had the trans rebuilt in my Winnie a year ago and I can't remember what fluid I used! What are you guys using in your 727 autos?

EldoradoBill

ATF+3 is the modern version of 7176...I believe ATF+4 is synthetic which probably wouldn't mix well with the older fluids.

Bill.

87Itasca

RE:  ATF+4 in older applications.

The goal in developing ATF+4 was to create a fluid that would match the performance characteristics of the current fluid (Type 7176D), but would retain those characteristics for at least 100,000 miles. The paper specifically notes that the anti-shudder properties of ATF+3 are usually degraded enough by 30,000 miles to cause noticeable shudder. Contrary to popular myth, one of the stated goals of Type 9602/ATF+4 fluids was that it would have the same frictional characteristics as ATF+3.  The paper explicitly states that this was because new clutch materials would not be introduced for this fluid and it had to be backwards compatible with ATF+3.  Graphs in the paper show that the friction coefficient of fresh ATF+3 and ATF+4 is essentially identical, but as the fluid ages ATF+4 retains the “as new” coefficient while ATF+3 degrades.

Not only is it perfectly acceptable to use it in an older application, its a superior fluid.

Rickf1985

BUT! Do the two fluids mix together well?

legomybago

I just went through this issue myself because I replaced my tranny filter in the FMC, I wanted to see what was recommended by the current "google" world community. Store brand ATF-3 is what I chose. A lot of people run Type F, but you don't see it on the shelf anymore at the store.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Rickf1985

A lot of racers will use Type F because it does not have the friction modifiers but I would not use it in a modern transmission on the street. Just a hint, That high dollar Stuff called B&M "Trick Shift"................. It is type F without the dye. Gotta love marketing.

legomybago

Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Rusty2867

After further research I found a receipt for Walmart brand ATF it says its suitable for Dex2,Dex3,and Mercon,I think that's what I put in it.Is that ok?

Elandan2

Dexron was the recommended fluid for 727 transmissions. You're good to go :)ThmbUp
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

keytime

Also looking for some clarification.  I have a 1968 Winnebago D-18 on a M300 chassis that recommends "DEXRON Automatic Transmission Fluid".  I happen to have a few gallons of DEX/MERC fluid from Autozone that reads "... suitable for use where DEXRON-II, DEXRON-III, or MERCON fluids are specified."  The container reads "GM & Ford" on it, but based on the comments above, it appears this is acceptable as well.  Thoughts?

stanDman111