Just took the plunge

Started by tintin, August 11, 2016, 09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tintin

It all started with the thought of saving money on the extended stay hotel when my parents come to visit from Europe. Browsing through craigslist I found this 29 foot 1986 Fleetwood Southwind Eagle with less than 24K original miles on the chassis and motor. After mulling it over for about a week I pulled the trigger and parted with 40 Benjamins in exchange for a new adventure.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ckschweiger/shares/bF7v76

The previous owner bought it at a charity auction with the intend to make it his own. He coated the roof, resealed around the windows, put all new batteries in it, flushed the gas tank, cleaned the carbs, installed a new fuel pump and fuel filter and took care of a few other odds and ends.

Despite not knowing much, I trusted my gut and took the plunge.

The plumbing seems to be working and can't see any leaks (yet), the two roof ac's blow cold, the ac in the dash blows cold, all interior and exterior lights are working. The motor runs well and passed emissions, the transmission seems to be shifting fine.

Of course the refrigerator is not working, the carburetor of the generator is gummed up, the front suspension air bags are shot and the tires are square. Overall I feel I got a pretty good deal. We'll see how it all goes in the next few weeks.

I am totally new to the RV-thing and have two left hands - nothing can go wrong, right?

Cheers,

Chris

Rickf1985

Looks good Chris, I see some delamination by the rear side window but you say the windows were resealed so hopefully that will take care of that. The fridge could be several things easy so don't write it off yet. Pretty much plan on putting new tires on since they go bad from sitting. It looks like you got a good deal.

By the way, if you become a full or life member here you get access to all of the manuals for the coaches and generators. Well worth the price of admission.

lemortede

Welcome to group.
There is alot of knowledge here
Like Rick said, The lifetime membership is worth every penny. Having those manuals is a bargan