Totaled

Started by Jerry, August 11, 2016, 08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

Looks like the HR is going to be totaled by the insurance company. It was in a hail storm a few weeks ago and got kinda banged up on the roof and sides but still in good shape so were buying it back! In a way it is a blessing now it will be paid off and should have enough for a new roof and front AC. It was a a long process for me and my wife to chose this route, we were giving some serious thought to letting it go and buy a newer one. We finally agreed that this one was structurally sound, a new motor, tires, and most of the stuff works in it so why go back into debt. Just for our peace of mind I will be putting a new roof on since there is a few soft spots on it feels like the old aluminum roof is under the rubber and very lose. I am guessing it will be a complete tear off with new substrate and EPDM, I hope it doesn't turn into a night mare when I open it up. Hopefully there is not a lot of child unfriendly words and praying to God to just let me die before it is over.
Jerry

EldoradoBill

For those who forgot their glasses:

Looks like the HR is going to be totaled by the insurance company. It was in a hail storm a few weeks ago and got kinda banged up on the roof and sides but still in good shape so were buying it back! In a way it is a blessing now it will be paid off and should have enough for a new roof and front AC. It was a a long process for me and my wife to chose this route, we were giving some serious thought to letting it go and buy a newer one. We finally agreed that this one was structurally sound, a new motor, tires, and most of the stuff works in it so why go back into debt. Just for our peace of mind I will be putting a new roof on since there is a few soft spots on it feels like the old aluminum roof is under the rubber and very lose. I am guessing it will be a complete tear off with new substrate and EPDM, I hope it doesn't turn into a night mare when I open it up. Hopefully there is not a lot of child unfriendly words and praying to God to just let me die before it is over.

Jerry

I was going to post some pics but seems there all to large to post!
Jerry

Jerry

Not sure what is going on with my post, looks normal in preview but post is micro small and can't seem to edit it and get it to change!
Jerry

Jerry

Think I got it, the message had some coding in it hat was causing it to shrink!
Jerry

Jerry

Jerry

Rickf1985

Other than the vent covers which you need to replace quickly to prevent more water damage, it does not look all that bad. And that roof looks like a regular aluminum roof, I can see the metal where the hail took off the elastomeric coating. Just recoat the roof with Elastomeric coating.

HandyDan

You might think that the roof has soft spots, but the HRs have styrofoam under the aluminum roof and it will feel soft to walk on, but it is actually in good shape.  I'm not sure where the EPDM came from.  If it is a 1983, it didn't come with it. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

fasteddie313

Yep I bet your roof is fine, just coat the whole thing one more again...

Rambler roofs are like a sheet of aluminum right on top like an inch of soft foam board then aluminum I beams..

They feel soft under the aluminum roof skin, they are supposed to..

That rambler in your pics, other than the little dents all over, looks to be in pretty good condition..

If you were in there when it happened I bet that was fun.. No broken windows?

The hail look like it would have been pretty impressive based on the damage I see to the generator door grill..

HandyDan

I have posted this before, but it was a while back.  This explains why the roof feels soft.

Dan

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Jerry

Thinks for all the input, I did look a little closer this weekend and feel like an idiot, it is just coated not epdm, now to return the new roof and get it re coated. What would you suggest on the spot at the back where the ladder is that is caved in? It doesn't realy look like structural damage more like a 500 pound man jumped on it and caved in the aluminum. It is hard to see in the currant pics will try to get some tomorrow and post them.
I am sure I am not the first to get confused on roof types but sure felt like an idiot when I realized you guys were rite and I had a aluminum roof that had been coated not overlayed with epdm.
Jerry

Jerry

Here is a couple pics of the area sunk in at the ladder, trying to figure out best way to repair this.
https://motorhome16.wordpress.com/2016/08/23/roof-sunk/
Jerry

Rickf1985

Interesting, I have never seen the ladder and rail fittings recessed into the roof like that. I think that is something you are going to have to live with unless you want to rip up a whole section of roof. The foam has probably been compressed and possibly a crossmember has been bent from constant traffic. A lot of people seemed to think these were viewing stands at races, the only ones I knew that were where Bluebirds with the raised walkway.

TerryH

Looking at the left side of both pics it almost appears there is a round escutcheon plate that has been very nicely sealed over.
(However, what is underneath requires radar.)
If this is the case and if  you want to try you could pull back and remove all the sealant and now exposed fastenings. Use a piece of alum flat bar under, 1/8 x 4 x 72, or as required, tape and seal and rivet to the roof and seal properly, then fasten the ladder escutcheons to the flat bar. This would distribute the weight, rather than having two pressure points.
As an aside, and this may throw a wrench into everything, are those roofing cracks running rearward from each of the ladder stanchions?
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Jerry

Terry doesn't look like cracks it appears there has been some patch work done there.
Jerry

Jerry

Just started pressure washing the roof this evening and may be able to tell more about the roof condition tomorrow, will try to get some pics of it when clean.
Jerry