Harbor freight jackstands, UNSAFE!!!!!!!!!

Started by Rickf1985, August 10, 2016, 07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRMousseau

Again,... not fond of those "rachet-tooth" styles other than light general automotive use.

And the plan set is typical of commercially available ones that I find to be too shaky and wobbly, and jus not a strong style.

Rick described exactly those I find to be ideal for general use OR heavier work, and I'll likely build another set of 'em. Heavy square stock, full-length center welded at bottom plate with angle-iron supports on all four corners to the same broad square base. The support fits the center close, to minimize movement and wobble the entire length. And may consider interchangeable cradle-tops,... sometimes you want one for axles, sometimes for frames, rails or flats. With receiver stock,... 10-12ton! A bit heavier (with 1" pins),.. to 20+ton! Maybe with a welded inscription,... heirloom quality to last my grandsons lifetime too.
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

CapnDirk

Quote from: BrianB on August 15, 2016, 01:17 PM
They look like what we used to use to jack up a house when doing foundation repairs. Set them up on 8x8 hardwood cribbing.

You are correct Brian, they are house jacks.  Used to raise a house for foundation repairs/replacement, or to get the beams under it to move the house.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

tarifachris

I have these Northern Tool 12 ton jack stands and they are massive... The price is o.k as well at 89$ incl. shipping.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200641755_200641755

Since I have hydraulic leveling jacks they are great for securing and I trust the double locking system.

Rickf1985

Most jackstands are going to be good when working on a smooth concrete surface. It is when you are outside on uneven ground that you run into issues with the cheaper stuff.

WrigleysBraveWin

Only thing I would buy from HF would have to be for one time use, they have junk.
Today is the youngest you'll ever be!

khantroll

I have been quite lucky I suppose in my dealings with HF. The only items I have had fail that I purchased from there was the oscillating multitool; it burned out after two days of use. I have two of their 3 ton racing jacks, an older version of their 1/2 impact gun, an air ratchet, different paint guns, shop compressor, pancake compressor, two portable air compressors, an various small hand tools.

All of the above have served me quite well; better on the average then Stanley, and I'd say roughly on par with Kobalt (not surprising since they all three use outsourced manufacturing).

Rickf1985

I just bought an air powered belt sander that was DOA but I will return it for another. At the low prices they have and for homeowner use a lot of the stuff makes sense. If it lasts a year you are ahead of the game. The big problem with the jack stands is if you look at them closely and then look at all the others on the market they are ALL the same. Exactly right down to the last detail! Even a lot of the so called "Made in America" stands are exactly the same.

Shawn62

I just saw that Harbor Freight has a recall on some of their 3 ton and 6 ton jack stands.   I saw it on roadandtrack.com. The stands were manufactured between 2013 and 2019. Pittsburgh Brand.  Items numbers 56371, 61196 and 61197. 450000 units might be involved.  Recall was posted to NHTSA on March 20, 2020.
I remember Rick sounding the alarm on HF jack stands years ago.

Rickf1985

I STILL have that stand!!! I wonder if it is one of the ones recalled? There is no way to know since any numbers were on labels which have long weathered away sitting outside.

I just went back to the original post and yes, they are the same stands. Damn, I love it when I am right!!!!!

skloon

Quote from: Rickf1985 on May 19, 2020, 08:38 PM
I STILL have that stand!!! I wonder if it is one of the ones recalled? There is no way to know since any numbers were on labels which have long weathered away sitting outside.

I just went back to the original post and yes, they are the same stands. Damn, I love it when I am right!!!!!
At least you weren't dead right- when I read about the recall today I sorta remembered this post- I am in Canada so we dont get their stuff but have an equivalent, Princess Auto- I bought some 10 tonne jackstands from a city surplus sale that they used on busses

Shawn62

Rick,

I would try to take them back to HF and get your gift card for them.  I have taken four recalled items back in the last year.  Two flashlights, a knife and an electric chainsaw.  They exchanged the chainsaw.  I got gift cards for the other items.

Rickf1985

I have the chainsaw too!! :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao  It still works so I just keep using it.  I may try but I will probably forget every time I go up there to throw it in the truck.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

ordchief

what size jack stands would you recommend for a 89 34ft bounder?

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca