Ute Liner

Started by rockrdude, August 08, 2016, 01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockrdude

I've got something interesting. I've found a handful of these Ute Liners but I can't seem to find any information online. I'm hoping someone might have some knowledge or be able to point me in the right direction. I've found a Ute Liner in Rupert, Idaho but it's titled as a '69 Winnebago. Ute Liners were manufactured by International Harvester in Murray, Utah for only three years ('71-'73) in what I believe to be lengths of 24' and 28'. I have no idea what type of engine they have, but this particular one supposedly has a Dodge 283. I can't get up there to see it myself but someone on here may catch an interest. The asking price is $800. It needs a new battery and some roof work and a good clean up. The owner says it runs great and he would trust it to Salt Lake City. I'll try and attach some photos. I just can't seem to figure out what is up with these Ute Liners, but I absolutely love the design! I'm sure I'm not the only one out there curious about them. https://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=39740783&cat=&lpid=&search=1969%20class%20a&ad_cid=1
Travelin' Gav

rockrdude

Here are the photos of the other one that I recently found.  I believe it was a '73 with an asking price of $3,500.  I was pretty tempted but I got nervous about the transmission not holding in park.  I just love their design!
Travelin' Gav

legomybago

I think Uteliners came with International running gear. This makes me want to find a link to one of the nicest Uteliners out there....I will try and find the link and post.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

legomybago

Here you go, check this baby out!! I love this rig, I've been crying over it for a few years. It sold a long time ago, who knows where it's at now? Im just glad the link is still out there and available for us vintage rv weirdos to look at.....

http://www.hispeedcustoms.com/IMAGES/CARS/1973%20Uteliner/index.htm

rockrdude

I found that link last night when I was searching!  I'm half tempted to call that shop and ask them if they know much about them or if they just happened upon that one.  I've never found one outside of Utah/Idaho.  It's nice to know one wound up alllll the way down in Arizona, eh? Hahaha
Travelin' Gav

legomybago

I already talked to the shop a couple years ago....They just said that it "sold"....No other info. Your almost as weird as me ???

Rickf1985

I can't picture an International with Dodge running gear. It might have a Dodge transmission but it would have either a 304, 345 or a 392. There was also a 266 but that would have been pretty small for this application. Just a note, International did use the AMC 401 in the early 70's in the Travelall and called it V-400. The International 304 is not the same engine and the AMC 304.

rockrdude

Update: For future information seekers, later model Ute Liners ('72-'74) are powered by an International Harvester 345 or 392 engine while early model Ute Liners ('69-'71) are most likely powered by a Dodge 318. The one that I shared is powered by a Dodge 318. They are extremely hard to find but I seem to have an eye for them. I've found four across Utah and Colorado.
Travelin' Gav

legomybago

I would suspect that anyone in the market for a Uteliner, would spend a year or so looking i?? . They need to be saved when found for sure!!

rockrdude

You're so right! I could point someone in the right direction though.  :)ThmbUp
Travelin' Gav

rockrdude

Chiming in on my own post again... I just found a '72 Ute Liner for sale down in the middle of nowhere. This one is a 28 footer. VERY COOL! The asking price is right. It's been parked for 10 years but ran great when parked. Was driven cross country 5-6 times and then parked. Low miles. The current owner is a family member of the original owner. She says it was originally purchased with a diesel engine but now has a gas engine. Something about a recall? I can't be too sure about that. I plan to go really check it out next weekend so I'll post an update. There's gotta be someone out there searching!
Travelin' Gav

Rickf1985

They ALL ran when parked for the most part. Doesn't mean squat as for what will happen now when you try it. And I never heard of diesels in them back that far. Guess it is possible but in 72 there were no real small automotive diesels in this country. Neat find though, you seem to have a knack for finding these in decent shape.

stanDman111

got a brochure some where around where a diesel engine  was option choice back in the early 70s for Winnebago's
air cooled  deutz = go figure

rockrdude

Ehhhh. Somewhat true about "ran when parked". I typically hear they were parked when there was some sort of engine or tranny issue but she literally parked it after a cross country trip and left it. This one does seem to be a neat find. I hope to find some paperwork in the old rig when we drive down to see it this week. A diesel engine in a Winnebago?! I've never heard of that!
Travelin' Gav

Rickf1985

A Deutz! Yea, I guess it is possible but the price of that coach would have been astronomical. Even worse now if you were to try to resurrect a Deutz, Real hard and expensive to get parts for. And man are they LOUD!

CapnDirk

Diesel  Duetz .  have not heard that since the  70's.  I think it was a generator if memory serves me.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

M & J

My sons Vermeer trencher has one of those Deutz engines in it. Parts, everything very expensive.
M & J

Rickf1985

They are still making them and they are still expensive relative to other diesels.