Secondary AC system

Started by cs641, August 06, 2016, 01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cs641

If this is the wrong forum for this post please forgive me.

I have a 76 Landau MH and I'm looking to add a secondary AC system for the coach for use while driving. Any recommendations on a system to use? Do I need a second compressor or can I tee I to the existing system?

My current set up has me running the genset and one of the roof units in addition to the AC in the dash.

cook elandan

I know that alot of people on here run their generators for the roof air and dont use their dash air.  So if you have the room on your roof to add another unit but make sure that your generator is able to run the two units.

Rickf1985

I can't picture how you could put all of the needed components in there for a second system. You would need a second compressor and mounts, a second condenser and a second evaporator W/ expansion valve and all of the associated ducting. Plus all the controls for that system.

I know some Dodge 15 passenger vans from the 80's had rear air but I would have to dig up the diagrams on one to see how they routed the refrigerant on those systems. I am thinking they had to split the high pressure side hose off to both expansion valves. Depending on how far away you are planning on putting the other unit that could double or triple the amount of refrigerant needed and could get REAL expensive!

EldoradoBill

I would guess my operator manual is pretty typical, and it specifically states that the dash air is designed to only "refresh" the driver and front passenger, not to cool the coach. Run the genset and roof air if you want the coach cooled off. If there's issues in the back of your mind in why you wouldn't feel comfortable running the genset during travel then maybe those should be addressed separately.

Bill