WARNING - Anchorage Wal-Mart

Started by BrianB, July 29, 2016, 09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianB

A rude awakening at 2:30 am with a tow truck under front end of my RV and demanding $50 payment or be towed.

He was hitting every one of about 20 RVs in the parking lot. As I left I leaned on the horn and drove past every other RV (he was already backing under another Class C) to try to warn them. Another guy behind me did the same. Hopefully I saved somene else some grief.

I was  $@!#@! pissed. ended up driving 2.5 hours towards next destination before finding a roadside that wasn't too secluded for comfort.

Every "truckstop" that google maps listed was just a fuel station with no parking available.
Check out my RV trip planning & prep: http://alaska.boorman.us/

The movie Twister - that research instrument? Yeah, she figured it out.

Rickf1985

Were there "no overnight parking" signs there? If not I would not be paying crap and I would be calling the police! I would still move but I would not pay the tow truck driver since I did not call him. Now, if the lot was marked.............. then it is on you. I ALWAYS call the WAL-MART ahead first and ask. I have heard there is a very large population of homeless people living in campers in whatever free space they can find in some areas of Alaska so most places do not allow overnight parking due to drug and crime issues.

EldoradoBill

Maybe the OP (any of us, really!) should check the Walmart No-Park list before dropping anchor... http://www.walmartlocator.com/no-park-walmarts-in-alaska/

Bill

JessEm

Ditto Rick85. If posted, then it's on you. Not posted, I'd be calling a tow truck to tow the tow truck! Then, hopefully, sit back and laugh as I watch him pay.

Rickf1985

I would just call the police to make sure I get out of there safely and be gone. You are in their stomping grounds and it is not wise to start a fight in someone elses back yard. What happens if you break down up there? You think that driver who you just got in trouble has not called all his buddies and described you? Best to just get out of there peaceably, with the police knowing the situation in case anything comes up in the future.