Dometic Americana refrigerator doesn't work

Started by Dolores, July 28, 2016, 03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dolores

Never had any problems with the appliance until this weekend. Found the freezer was working but not the fridge below.  Put a thermometer in each compartment. The Freezer is spot-on, temp is where it should be. Fridge is showing 'warm'.  We have tried sliding the white plastic thingy at the side of the metal fins up and down but no difference to the fridge temp. We have been told that it is an absorption model where the freezer cools first and sends cold down to the fridge. But it's getting lost on the way!    Reading previous posts I can say the check light has never come on, and there has never been a smell of ammonia. We have never tried shoreline as we don't have access to it.

Rickf1985

First and foremost, is the vehicle level? There is a cooling coil that runs down behind those fins and it is the fins that cool that fridge area. Not cold air from the top. Is the flame burning correctly? Nice and blue, not yellow? Also check your door gasket to make sure it has not come off somewhere and is hanging outside the door when closed.

Dolores

Hi Rick,  yes it was level and is level now back in storage. We will check flame over weekend as it is now raining (surprize surprize) here. A bit of the seal on the bottom of the freezer door is a bit saggy but hasn't given us problems before. And when I shut the door, I can hear the air being either pushed out or compressed, not sure which but there is a definite 'Shhhhh' sound of air.    I have just been told it could be the thermistor which means the F/F has to come out altogether to be changed.....

Rickf1985

Look through this site, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIJYx5j2nPQ, they have the utmost best in refrigeration information. I was just informed by them that they are updating some of their DIY videos since I use their site when I have fridge problems and I noticed I could not access a couple of the videos. But look around there and see if any of it helps.