Help with possibly sketchy exhaust manifold repair?

Started by cj, July 27, 2016, 11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cj

Let me start by saying I definitely do not know enough about how cars and trucks work. I took my Brave D19 (Dodge 318) in to a garage in Indianapolis after my muffler basically exploded. In addition to the muffler etc there was apparently a leak at the exhaust manifold. I REALLY don't know much about this stuff, so please bear with me. So they took the old one off and had one machined to fit they said. When I went in to pick it up after a week they said they were unhappy with the repair and it was still leaking and they were going to look for a different manifold. In the meantime, they said I could take it away to do some stuff  to the coach and bring it back and they would finish fixing it, no additional charge (since I already paid them a bundle to do all this).  Great. Well, now it's back at their shop getting fixed and they said the new manifold has some tubes or holes or something that the old head(?) doesn't have, but they're going to just put it on anyway and make sure it seals and not worry about it. That was yesterday. Today I called and somehow something pierced something else and sprung a coolant leak. They said they had to drain all of the coolant in order to seal the leak and they are waiting for the sealant to set up before they can finish up and put manifold on.

If this were something I fully understood (I'm working on it, madly searching and downloading) or if this were a shop I had a relationship with and trusted I would feel a lot better about all of this. Does this sequence of events sound reasonable? Can anyone help me out with what if any questions I should ask about they're doing? Anything I should check for when I pick it up? I just don't have a ton of confidence at this point. Thanks.

Rickf1985

If all they are working on is the exhaust manifold the the extra holes are probably for emissions equipment and as long as it is plugged that is a non issue. BUT! That would have nothing to do with the coolant, It kind of sounds to me like someone used the wrong length bolt and punched through the head into the coolant passage. Not good. Some engines are designed that way and some are not, It is the only thing I can think of where "something got pierced" involving an exhaust manifold repair. If that is the case you will need to decide if you want to accept there version of the repair (With a written and signed explanation of the damage and repair and a warranty) or if you want to tell them you want a replacement head. If you go for the new head be sure to demand a complete valve job on the engine because the other side will be worn and this side will be new which will give you an imbalance.

cj

Thanks for the information and the advice.  Probably that's what they did. I'm going in to check it out and talk to them in the morning.  They said they filled it up with coolant  and put the manifold back on but they want to let it set up overnight to make sure it's not leaking. My confidence in this repair is pretty low at this point. I think they mostly do scheduled maintenance on modern cars and it's pretty clear they're not that excited about working on ours. Our plan was to leave on Friday to travel for a couple of months (so we don't have a place to stay in town after Friday), but I don't want to get on the road with a sketchy repair like this. I'm also not at all sure I want them to do the work if it comes to a new head. I reached out to another mechanic near by with a bunch of old vehicles at his place who is happy to work on it.  I'm torn: on the one hand I really want to get on the road and on the other hand I don't want to drive off into the distance with a leaking head and a warranty from a shop in a city that I may never see again. Thanks again for responding. I feel armed with a little more knowledge to talk to them.

Rickf1985

Planning to travel for a couple months in a 42 year old motor home with no place to fall back on is a BIG leap of faith. I can see why you are uneasy. I wish I had an answer that made things easier but I don't. Not knowing exactly what they did this is all I can offer.

Rex

The very front and rear bolt for the exhaust manifold on a 318 is open to the coolant in the head. They usually have studs in them holes

Rickf1985

This is a 360, I can't remember if there were any wet holes in a 360 but if something was "pierced" I don't know what else it could be? Unless the idiots pulled out the stud and THOUGHT they pierced the head? That would be the best case scenario!

turbinebronze

The 318 head and the 360 head are the same in sharing the front and rear studs into the water jacket.  Hard to seal, and a lot of times they break off.  The exhaust manifolds and heads on the '82(?) and up small blocks had air injection ports. I'm not sure if the older heads exhaust ports will line up properly with a newer (air injection) exhaust manifold.  I would take a new exhaust gasket for a air injection manifold and match it to the older head and check for a good seal.

turbinebronze

oh, I forgot to mention, this does not apply to the Magnum heads on the later 318/360's...

legomybago

QuoteUnless the idiots pulled out the stud and THOUGHT they pierced the head? That would be the best case scenario!
I'll bet money on this....
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

fasteddie313

I find that if its just a little manifold leak sometimes its best just to leave it be.. Especially if you can just feel it and not hear it..

Messing with those head studs can really ruin your day.. Next thing you know you can be pulling your head and talking to a machinist, $$, just over a little puff..

FUMES you say.. - crank driven radiator fan..

As long as its not loud I wouldn't bother..

Rickf1985

His was apparently leaking coolant after their repair. I know when mine leaks it gets inside.