Drivability Questions (73 Dodge 360) Lack Of Power

Started by bigskypc50, July 27, 2016, 09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigskypc50

Hello all, hope everyone is well. I have been making progress on my 1973 Dodge 360 20ft Tioga RV. I am wondering if my engine has some issue's, It will do 60-63 with about 3/4 of the peddle used and take minor hills with out much slow down. However on the larger hills I have to go wide open and most of the time keep about 50-55 before I changed the fuel filter it was losing seed. Is this normal or do I have engine problems? The engine has 96K so I don't think its worn out, and I am pretty sure the tranny is not slipping. I have changed the fuel filter, I have not pulled the plugs, the Cap and wires look they were replaced not that long ago so I assumed the plugs were done too. Would it worth doing a full tune up? Having timing checked, it runs well and has good power at slow speeds.

Rickf1985

73 was right in the middle of the emissions years and if everything is not perfect it will run terrible. I would do a complete tune up on it since you really do not know what or when it was done. Check all of the vacuum lines, I can guarantee a lot of them are leaking at that age and that will affect many things. Don't just cut back the split end of the line, replace the entire line. It is just as cheap to buy a spool of vacuum line as it is to chase leaks forever on an old line.

bigskypc50

Greetings all, Thanks rick for your feedback.

I did some tinkering around today, and found out the engine is a simple beast, no emission stuff (that I can see) and the amount of vacuum lines you can count one hand. The cap wires plugs and roter were all brand new. PCV value is good (a rattle and lots of vacuum), replaced a vacuum line that feeds the vacuum advance on the disturber, it was battle and swollen and very lose on the base of the carb. I pulled the oil cap on the pass side value cover, and I don't get any smoke or feel any air so I don't think blow by is a problem.

So I assume it's the carb (still the original one on there) or a timing problem or low compression?

Rickf1985

Is it a two or four barrel carb? If it is a two barrel then you may just be running out of power. You are trying to move a lot of weight and a lot of wind resistance with not a lot of torque. You may want to check fuel pressure and volume also. Could be the pump is getting tired.

bigskypc50

Hello, Thanks for the feedback, I am 95% sure it's a 2 barrel. I do have an extra fuel pump, it's part of my stash of spare parts I keep on board.  I don't have the tools to test it, think it's worth replacing it? Would that snake oil "Engine Restore" do anything or hurt anything?

Rickf1985

The only thing Engine Restore is good for restoring is the inside of a dumpster! Do not waste your money. If you really want to check the condition of the internals do a cylinder leak down test. I think you will find that this may just be normal for this vehicle. What gears are in the rear? 73 should not have a catalytic convertor, check to be sure the exhaust does not sound like a vacuum cleaner when you hit the gas hard, if it does then you may have an internally collapsed pipe blocking the exhaust. Is this single exhaust or dual?
I am not a fan of just throwing new parts on to see if that is the problem, If it isn't then you have wasted a good fuel pump because the one with gas in it is now going to dry out. You need to test it or find someone with a fuel pressure gauge.

87Itasca

Hi bigsky,

If it's any consolation, my friends have a '72 Tioga 16'? with the 360, and it's the same way.

It's definitely more comfortable at 50, but it will do 55. Anything over 60-65 is seemingly asking all one can ask of it. It might go faster, but the engine has to be near theoretical "redline". Timing and carb are dialed in, 59K showing on odometer. That's just all the guts it has.

Theirs is basically the length of a church van, but with a "Class C" body.