Cutting vent pipe to install countertop?

Started by cj, July 25, 2016, 12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cj

Hey there,

I am considering replacing the countertop in my '74 Brave. I have access this week to a cheap piece of wood countertop and a friend with a driveway and some tools. My concerns are: removing the stove (which I watched a video about, doesn't seem crazy) and getting around the vent pipe that runs through the corner of the existing counter.  My thought is to cut a section out of that pipe and lift the old counter off it and slide the new one over. Then I could re-attach that pipe with a couple of those pvc connector collar things (no idea what they're called). Does this seem reasonable or insane? Is there a better way to think about this? I'll try to include a picture. the pipe I'm talking about is the yellow one in the corner. Thanks!

JessEm

You're right, stovetop is easy to remove. Might not even need to undo gas line if you can lift slightly up and forward, enough to pull the old countertop up/out from the back, and slide in the new one under from behind.

Your idea for the pipe would work perfectly well. PVC pipe is very easy to work with.

Another idea. If that pipe is tight against both walls in the corner (looks to be in the pic), there's probably no need to cut the pipe at all. Just cut the old countertop free from the pipe (assuming you are trashing it anyway), then cut a round profile in the new countertop to fit around the front of the pipe. Chances are, you can use the old top to trace the pipes profile onto the new top. Caulk as needed.

Trunkhill1

Or box the PVC pipe in with some 1" pine (probably find it free if you do some scrounging).  Then you could paint/decorate it with hooks for potholders or utility magnets for spice cans and knives.

legomybago

Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

cj

Thanks! It's not totally flush to the wall, but it's pretty close. so maybe I can get away with not cutting the pipe after all. Great idea. And I  will definitely see if I can get the old top out without tampering with gas line on the stove. That would be ideal. If I go ahead and put a new faucet/sink in while I'm at it, does anyone know if you can use regular household fixtures in there or do I need to buy something rv specific? I'm sure I can search posts for this (and i will) but I just though of it now. Thanks again.

sasktrini

Removing and reattaching the gas line from the stove is not a big deal, and you will avoid kinking the copper line.  I like the box idea.
Corey aka sasktrini

cj

Update: the counter is in! Ended up doing it without cutting the vent pipe. I actually haven't even trimmed it yet, but it's a pretty good fit around the pipe as is. We ended up  making a sort of rounded cut in the corner of the counter to fit around the pipe so I think I can just get a little quarter-round to go along the back edge. I've been having trouble getting my pics on here lately but there are a few pictures of this project up at https://detachedandamused.com/2016/08/13/ikea-to-the-rescue/

I'll put more details and better pics of this project on here as soon as I figure out how. I did end up taking out the stove to do this. It was no big deal and made everything easier.  It also allowed me to vacuum out about 41 years of dirt and mouse turds from the stove cabinet. I ended up putting in a new sink and faucet from Lowes. The sink is close to the same footprint as the original but is a few inches deeper, which is really nice. And the faucet is one of those kitchen ones with a long neck that makes it much easier to use for washing up. Connecting up the sink was the hardest part for me, mostly because I'm kind of a plumbing dummy. The sink and faucet set were about $100 and the butcher block counter was on a crazy sale from Ikea for about $40. It came in a 6 foot length, so I got a lot of little cutting boards out of it as a bonus. Thanks a lot for the ideas, guys. I'm glad I didn't end up cutting the pvc.

Oz

Always good when you don't have to do as much as you expected rather than more!
:)
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca