Early sidewall aluminum skin

Started by 4-Paws, July 22, 2016, 06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4-Paws

Hi,

I'm restoring a 1967 Winnie F-17 and am in need of the ribbed aluminum on the lower part of the sidewall which was also used on their trailers of the same vintage. The "mini mesa", as I call it, has alternating 1/4" and 5/16" ribs. I've tried Winnebago and nearly all aftermarket RV metal suppliers without any luck. One of the suppliers had seen this before and stated that this was only used by Winnebago in the mid 60's. Winnie junked their metal embossing equipment years ago so that is not an option. Has anyone here sourced something like this or know of any custom metal supplier that could reproduce something like this? My metal is cracked, bent and has holes in it from alterations and corrosion so re-using it is not an option either plus we're re-skinning the entire rest of the coach. I know I could use the readily available mesa patterns for this bottom skin but I'd like to make this coach as original looking as possible...I'd even settle for something close made from any kind of material. Any input is welcomed...thanks!

Rickf1985

I have this bookmarked, don't know if it is one of the ones you tried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWgLTJJ-RGU

boogie_man

4-Paws

I tried these folks and they couldn't duplicate the pattern for me.

Rickf1985

I have seen that pattern on older commercial and residential refrigerators. Think Crosley and Westinghouse. The bottom of the door is where I seem to remember it. I have also seen it on older refrigeration units in fruit packing houses where the unit is outside.