Evening winnebago hunt!

Started by Lahti35, July 21, 2016, 10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lahti35

Feel free to share thoughts...

So I went to look at a Winnebago tonight. It was a 1970 with a 318. Motor started right up and everything worked except for the furnace. Interior in fair condition. Mismatched set of 16" tubeless rims with old cracked tires. There was some minor water damage around a few of the windows on the paneling. Many of the windows had caulking or sealant on the outside in various spots. The roof looked good, firm all around. Generator missing, no propane tanks. Asking price $1200 obo.

Tomorrow I go see this one that is supposed to run great and come with lots of new parts but needs new batteries and has soft brakes. $1700. I was going to skip it because of the 5 lug rims but what the hey, its either stay home and drywall or go see a Winnebago!

Surfinhurf

I like the second one,  It looks like its been on the road recently.  Plus the paint job is cool

Good luck
HURF

khantroll

I'm gonna vote for the second one as well. I would think long and hard about buying one of these old girls with water damage. Mine supposedly only had a few spots of it, and here we are two years later and I'm still poking around finding soft spots.

The second one looks to be a very nice rig, and it looks to be a smaller one so the brake parts shouldn't be hard to come by.

Lahti35

I'm leaning toward the second one too... its got high miles though but its supposed to run like a swiss watch... stay tuned.

Lahti35

Well #2 was a bust, bad roof... really bad. More dips and curves than a can of pringles. I don't want to get into roof repair right away so its back to #1 to see if I can make a deal with the seller...

Lahti35

First ones a bust too, buyer won't let me take it for a test drive around the block because he didn't renew the plates this year... the search continues!

JessEm

Wow that's too bad!

I was going to say, you can't complain about the prices. The awnings are worth dang near what they're asking.

Better luck in the search!

Upon further consideration, it's unlikely to find someone willing to part with one that's current on maintenance for those prices.

Lahti35

Quote from: JessEm on July 24, 2016, 10:01 AM
Wow that's too bad!

I was going to say, you can't complain about the prices. The awnings are worth dang near what they're asking.

Better luck in the search!

Upon further consideration, it's unlikely to find someone willing to part with one that's current on maintenance for those prices.

It is a shame, I really liked #1 but I can understand why the seller won't risk driving it around the block without it being plated or registered... he's worried about it being impounded and just wants to follow the law.

On the other hand as a buyer I can't just hand over the cash for a driving vehicle without taking it for a short spin to verify I can get it home, 20 miles away. I got burned last fall on an old Plymouth by a seller who was the most charming friendly guy you could imagine. Turns out he was a scheister in sheeps clothing of the first order. I vowed then never to take anyone's word for vehicle condition again. Too bad that one guy ruined it for everybody else.

Rickf1985

I will not let anyone test drive any vehicle on the road if it is not registered and insured. If anything happens it is MY arse!!!!  95% of the people out there are honest, In saying I would not let them test drive it and if they bought it and tried to drive it home and it broke down I would load it on my trailer for them. But in a case of real cheap for the vehicle then it is on you. No warranty. If I say the engine and trans are good and it blows up I would probably give you your money back but if you come back screaming in my face I will tell you to stuff it. Been there done that.
With some of the other deals that have been pointed out to you on here I would have not even looked at that one. There was one that was almost fully restored for the same or less.

Lahti35

Quote from: Rickf1985 on July 24, 2016, 01:30 PM
I will not let anyone test drive any vehicle on the road if it is not registered and insured. If anything happens it is MY arse!!!!  With some of the other deals that have been pointed out to you on here I would have not even looked at that one. There was one that was almost fully restored for the same or less.

I don't need to drive it, he could I just need to see it do what he says it will... I just can't trust anybody after getting burned. If I buy it and then the transmission is shot I;m the one who has to figure out a way to get it home so I don't get tickets for it sitting by the road... since neither the seller or the buyer have a rig to transport it in this case.

I did try and contact the seller of that green '72 but never heard back so I moved on. It did look nice though!

JerryP

Quote from: Lahti35 on July 24, 2016, 12:27 PM
It is a shame, I really liked #1 but I can understand why the seller won't risk driving it around the block without it being plated or registered... he's worried about it being impounded and just wants to follow the law.

On the other hand as a buyer I can't just hand over the cash for a driving vehicle without taking it for a short spin to verify I can get it home, 20 miles away. I got burned last fall on an old Plymouth by a seller who was the most charming friendly guy you could imagine. Turns out he was a scheister in sheeps clothing of the first order. I vowed then never to take anyone's word for vehicle condition again. Too bad that one guy ruined it for everybody else.

I doubt he was all that worried about impoundment and registration issues.. He could have drove you around the block. If he says it runs, it is pretty easy to prove, by going for a short drive around the block.
I doubt it would make it around the block.

Jerry P
89 Winnebago Chieftain 23RC
A work in progress

legomybago

Both of those rigs looked good for the money. For the price range your looking at, that's the type of rigs your going to see. Projects.
My first FMC I bought was beat, a 500 dollar special, after working on the mechanicals, cleaning it up a bit, then realizing I would NEVER get it on the road in the condition I wanted it in, I sold it for 1500. The potential buyer asked if he could drive it around the block, I said "No, no insurance". He looked at me really funny, (He still bought it from me, and had NO mechanical issues) Hey, if your looking for a 1500 dollar project motorhome, and the rig looks like someone's been working on it and it runs good, that's a chance I'd take. Cuz the seller is just going to wait for the next potential buyer if someone has an issue about a test drive.... Now for 5 grand, you bet I'd let someone drive something I had for sale, 5k is a chunk of change. If I where selling a Harley, no ride till money in my hand? Would you? MO
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Rickf1985

If you are really interested and you can't go on the road then do this, run it til the thermostat opens, any leaks? Good. Put  it in reverse, back up a couple feet, good. go forward a couple feet, good. If you really need to know the transmission is good and for that kind of money I think that is pushing it, you can jack up the rear end, put it on stands and run it through the gears and listen for noises.
For 1500 bucks things like brakes, lines, carb, tires. are all going to be planned replacements anyway.

Lahti35

I told the seller it would be AOK if HE drove it around the block once or even went up and down the driveway with it, I don't need to take it anywhere... he has stopped communicating with me... so I sense a scam.

I know we're all different but I would never advertise a vehicle as running and then make a buyer purchase it before showing it moves. Anyway, I'm not into games. I've got the cash and am ready to buy so I'll keep looking :)ThmbUp

legomybago

QuoteFor 1500 bucks things like brakes, lines, carb, tires. are all going to be planned replacements anyway.
Amen
QuoteI've got the cash and am ready to buy so I'll keep looking :)ThmbUp
Looking forward to seeing more rigs! Keep us posted

Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Lahti35

Quote from: Rickf1985 on July 25, 2016, 12:32 PM
For 1500 bucks things like brakes, lines, carb, tires. are all going to be planned replacements anyway.

Planned on it! I'd rather buy a cheapie and go through it myself and spend the savings on the good repairs made by me than spend more and have to redo somebody else's repairs. I want this rig to be reliable :)ThmbUp

Every vintage car I've bought that came to me with "brakes repaired" or "engine tuned up" has always needed $$$$ to fix it the way it should have been done.  W%