Dodge 440 thermostat question.

Started by xerofall, July 14, 2016, 01:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xerofall

Just trying to get the RV drivable so I can either sell it, or drive it off a cliff.

I searched, spent a few hours reading old posts, broken links, countermanding part codes, pictures with no information and I've found I need a skirted thermostat, but all links are either broken or link to non skirted thermostats. Several different part codes, etc...

Then add to the fact that I have a 1973 Brave with a 1978 engine that they pieced together from the 1973 engine, so I'm not really sure what to search for. Plus I'm not even sure what the problem is.

I drove my RV to a campsite over the 4th of July, the heat broke my shifter cable, got a new one, but it's not working (of course!) So I shift it manually in order to drive it, not fun. I drove almost the entire way home, maybe 12 miles from home it got HOT HOT HOT. Smoking. So I pull over. Let it cool for hours. Check the coolant, fill it up. Try again. Can only make it 6 of the 12 miles before the same thing. Pull over. Let cool. Add coolant. Try again.

Get it home, but need to empty the black tank. Wait a week, drive it 2 miles to dump the tank. Overheats again. Barely make it back home.

Is this the sign of a faulty thermostat?

I just want to get it fixed enough to sell it. I need to know if this is the correct one to get... http://www.ebay.com/itm/301930634088 , it looks like it's skirted, made by Robert Shaw as searched for here. Delta is like 50 miles away, so the transit time will be a day, maybe two at most.

Rickf1985

A thermostat that is stuck closed will overheat within minutes, one that is stuck wide open will not usually overheat unless the engine is running high RPM and low airflow over the radiator. This could also be the problem, how is the clutch fan?

You could just take the thermostat out all together so you do not fry the engine. I am not an expert on the 440 so I cannot speculate on the skirted thermostat.

As far as the shift cable, did you do the setup that DRMousseau posted about? Here it is.

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,11154.msg63230.html#msg63230

legomybago

Where's your water leak coming from?
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Froggy1936

Just remember, If you decide to drive it off a cliff, You will be responseable for any damage caused !  ;)  Also you do not have a L/F Door to jump out of , And moveing from drivers seat to side door That may fail to open wile moveing May remove all responseabilitys  forever !  :)rotflmao  :)rotflmao  :)rotflmao  Remove thermostate completely repair any leaks  till youfind solution   FRank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

DaveVA78Chieftain

440-3 Skirted Thermostat: Mr. Gasket 4367  (180 Degree)
Skirt routes water to proper recirculation during warm up.  If not there cooling water will bypass the radiator resulting in overheating.

You can just barely see the skirt underneath in the top picture
Full skirt shown in bottom picture

Possible issues:
  Clogged radiator
  Stuck closed Thermostat
  Water Pump impeler loose on shaft
  Incorrect Water Pump

160 Degree
Mr Gasket 4366
Robertshaw THERMOSTAT 370-160

180 Degree
Mr Gasket 4367