Wiper control module-what to do?

Started by EldoradoBill, July 04, 2016, 09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EldoradoBill

I've narrowed down the issue of my wipers randomly coming on and not shutting off to the wiper control module under the dash. A relay inside vibrates and buzzes and if I tap on the box the buzzing slows down and the wipers eventually park. The problem is that it is not a GM part per se, it is a Dana part #66C-00060 which is evidently made of Unobtanium. But I post this here to ask if anyone knows of a source for this, or any knowledge of how to retrofit a later model module to the wiper system? As it stands now the module is out on the engine cover unplugged and I can plug it in when I need wipers. Thanks in advance.

Bill

TerryH

It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

ntsc358

remove the 3 screws on the cover and check the pins where the plug connects- if you have a soldering iron reflow the solder at the pins as you will se cracks in the solder at the connection of the traces and your problem will go away- also check traces to see if they have broken if so jump with a piece of wire to repair

EldoradoBill

Quote from: TerryH on July 04, 2016, 09:51 PM
Would this be it, or retro-fitable?

http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/products/Chevrolet/MODULE-Windshield-Wiper--Washer-Control/2753583/15598496.html
Thanks but thats not it. This one is made by Dana Corp. which essentially dumped the whole line about 10 years ago. A call today to a Winnebago dealer got me "No Longer Available call these guys they deal with dana stuff" so I called the company he referred me to and was basically told its not available and theres no replacement, and my only solution is find the wires to the motor and rig up a toggle for wipers and a push button for washers. But first I'm going to follow the other suggestion and check for bad solder connections. Wish me luck I may be asking for wiper wiring help next  :(

Rickf1985

The motors all do the same thing so the controls can be retrofitted, it will just take a bit of detective work on the wiring.

EldoradoBill

I found a wiring diagram for a similar unit so now I know what the pin-outs go to/come from, I'll pull out an old GM service manual and find what the smart stick wires do, in the meantime I have a call in to an electronics rebuilder in PA to see what this will cost to have gone through. The wire diagram from Rostra/Dana apparently is going to be my key to success, at least I'll sleep tonight without dreaming of wire looms

Bill

Rickf1985

I dreamt of them for 40 years when I had my garage, I was the go to guy for electrical problems since I would not give up. Never found an electron that could beat me, some chased me around the block a dozen times though! :)rotflmao This newer stuff really makes you think.

EldoradoBill

I was wrong about the not dreaming part-up half the night running circuits through my head. The toss-up at the moment is to adapt an early-90s G-van module or get mine rebuilt for $150. I'm leaning towards the rebuild as I'm going to spend $90 on the new Delco module plus my time and aggravation. If the original fails again then it's on to Plan B. Thanks again for the comments and suggestions.

Bill

Rickf1985

The original lasted 25 years so I see no reason why it would not last that long again.

crd

Bill I am having the same problem. Did you try reflowing the solder? Did that work? If not have you found  a fix?

EldoradoBill

I actually ended up buying a new kit on ebay after getting the "haven't got to it's" from the rebuilder. It is the module with a controller, new in the box. As the connector is for a Spartan chassis the connector is different so I wired it up with alligator clips and it works as it should using my original column-mounted multifunction lever. I'm just waiting for the Mate n Lock connectors I ordered to come in so I can connect it to the wiper side "correctly". The seller has one kit left if you're interested (make him an offer  :D )... http://www.ebay.com/itm/262502213460?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

crd

Thanks Bill for the info.  Yesterday I was able to resolder the joints and so far it is working great. I think I will order the replacement to have as a backup.