what is the oil capacity on 318 (1973 Winnebago Brave D18)

Started by perlgurl, June 24, 2016, 09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perlgurl

I've searched the forums. I've googled the interwebs.  I'm not sure what the limit on my 318 is with regard to oil.

Does anyone know?

I'm asking because my RV is leaking oil BIG TIME and can't get fixed for a few weeks but I'm heading out for a long stay with relatively short mileage to get there so I want to be sure to I put enough oil in the engine before I head out and then be sure I have enough on hand to fill it up after it sits for a week in a remote location without running. 

plockit007

Hello:  I have the answer for you 5 qts with the filter. I would suggest to fill it will 4qts. Then run the engine check the level so it does not overfill. Did your Brave come with a Vehicle owners manual? I would definetly keep an eye on that leak. Sounds like the pan gasket to me. I would also suggest for you to use the best oil that you can afford. I'm in love with Quaker State, that oil has been in my vehicles since 1970's.

Have fun on your trip.

Rickf1985

You can over fill it by a half quart safely on level ground and it will not hit the crankshaft and aerate the oil. This will give you a little cushion on your leak while driving but be sure to not let it go below a quart low since you already ran it down to zip once. Note your mileage when you start and when you need to add oil and that will give you an idea of how often you need to stop.

perlgurl

Hey! I didn't see this before I went on my big trip, but thanks for the answers.

I ended up just adding a quart of oil before driving to and fro for my big trip and the rv did just fine so maybe it's leaking slowly and not as badly as I thought originally.  Either way I'm heading out for a longer trip this weekend so I'll be sure to check and double check oil levels prior to driving since I'm still waiting to hear back from my mechanic about gaskets (which reminds me I should call them and find out what's going on!).