Freezer cool, but not refridgerator Norcold 682

Started by tinbender71, June 20, 2016, 01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinbender71

I used my new to me 87 Fleetwood bounder a couple of weeks ago for a one night stay at a close campground. Mainly to make sure everything was ok. Everything worked great.  This past weekend we had a four night stay, and the refridgerator would not cool down. The freezer tried to. gas or electric did not matter. Finally gave up and just used cool freezer for things. of course Sat night, it froze! and the lower part got cool.

Anyway now at home same thing, just freezer cool. Did some research on here and decided to try and "burp" it. Came out very easily. While out, first thing I found was an insulation nest in condenser tubes!! Really thought I looked up in there before I pulled it out.

So hopefully I have found my problem. I will go ahead and burp it since it is out. I did hear the fluid flowing as soon as I turned it upside down.

Rickf1985

I think you found the problem but burping it will not hurt anything. Also gives you a chance to clean up the compartment and close in the sides which always seem to be far to open.

tinbender71

Yes sir! I hope so too. I have cleaned the compartment now. Lot of loose insulation, another birds nest, and many generations of mud daubers!! Good thing wood is solid, and electrical in there looks great. I went ahead and cleaned the burner and made sure flue was clear. The upper vent does have an intact screen as does the door on the outside of coach, not sure where critters were coming in.... unless it was not a birds nest!!!!!!!!

As a newbie, I have learned a great deal from here. Pulling the fridge out should be on the to do list for a dormant motorhome. I can see where this could have easily created a huge or dangerous problem.

Ill report back when I get it together, and we'll see if it works...

Rickf1985

Mouse house, you will find more of them. Look under the top of the stove, lift up the stove top so you can see around the burners. I had one there in the one I am parting out. the bad part is all of the insulation came from around the stove!