domestic duo therm motor oil up

Started by snkeii, June 05, 2016, 12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snkeii

these motors are close to 40 years old and have the old sealed bearings with the foam looking stuff. i have one apart and im not sure what to use to try and get these bearings lubed up again with. should i just get them soaked well with reg oil or pack them with grease and put them back together?

ill get some pics and post them in a few.

BrianB

If you can pack them with grease, that is what I would do.
Check out my RV trip planning & prep: http://alaska.boorman.us/

The movie Twister - that research instrument? Yeah, she figured it out.

snkeii

i think what im going to do is fill the bottom with 10-40 synthetic motor oil and i have some permatex anti seize lubricant grease rated for 1600 deg ill put around the shaft

if this isnt right im still working on cleaning the shafts up ill check back before im ready to reassemble let me know

Rickf1985

You have gotten that far, Why not just replace the bearings? There should be numbers on them somewhere. If not then Mic the shaft diameter, the inner diameter of the housing the bearing sets in( or outer diameter of the bearing) and call some bearing places.

snkeii

i can get a new motor for 100 bucks but im trying to not do that ... had the same issue with the original coleman on here and two weeks later the a/c pump took a dump. its now a boat anchor with a new motor in it. though im considering trying to make a swamp cooler out of it. i have more options for cooling.

im not not even sure those bearings are replaceable, likely it would be more trouble than its worth given the age of the motor itself compaired to replacement

my main question was what lubricant to put in it on reassembly

Rickf1985

If it is an open bearing then I would go with a medium weight grease. As long as it is not damaged it will go another 40 years.

snkeii

well i got it finished enough to run for tonight so we'll see if it runs for more than an hour before bogging down.

i filled the reservoirs with 10-40 motor oil and put high temp grease on the shaft during assembly so it injected some what into the sleeve. outside one was a pain since i couldnt get the heat exchange fan off. but it started up with out needing a hand push on the squirrel cage.

it still needs some minor stuff but ill worry about that later if it operates as its spose to for a few days at least

snkeii

well its been running all night with no issues other than the heat exchange fan dinging the shrouwd so i would call it a success for now. this thing hasnt worked properly in a year so im happy with it.

legomybago

Quotebut it started up with out needing a hand push on the squirrel cage.

Your start capacitor could be bad too. Look and see if the capacitor has swelled up.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

snkeii

Quote from: legomybago on June 06, 2016, 11:51 AM

Your start capacitor could be bad too. Look and see if the capacitor has swelled up.

thats the first thing i checked before i started the tear down ... the condenser run cap was bad. nice to have a spare set.

been running for days now i think im ok ... had to actually turn it off the other morning for an hour ... it ran me out  :)ThmbUp . had an ice over this morning on low. thinking back now i should have installed a line for each bearing so i could oil them again with out a tear down. if it has to come apart again its going to require new bolt shafts coming out of the unit to hold the motor in the correct position.... they were so oxidized they stripped  :(