Airbags on a d21

Started by Rollingmenace, May 29, 2016, 10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rollingmenace

Ok here goes I have a 76 d21 it's in the middle of an entire overhaul.. We use the Winnie mostly for camping and riding... I purchased a 14 foot enclosed v nose trailer this spring .. We have pulled it with the Winnie several times.. It pulls remarkably well considering..
BUT  when we have trailer loaded with heavier cargo  the ole Winnie squats  and looks like a 1960's gasser...
IM considering adding an air bag setup to the rear to act as a helper while towing.. Has anyone done this before that could give me a little direction.. I'd love to find a nice commercially marked kit that is available if there is such a thing.. Otherwise looks like I'll have to start working up plans to fabricate my own...  Any help or comments would be great

GOWINIGO

There are several companies who make a bolt in kit for something like this. I am currently redoing our 76 d21 and am looking at these... http://www.ridetech.com/store/airoverleaf/

:)

Rollingmenace

Thanks for the link man definitely something worth looking into my poor Winnie sure squats with the trailer on the back

Surfinhurf

Firestone Ride Rite  on my '77 d26rt.  They work fine.  I usually flat tow a CJ7, so not much load on the tongue.  I run 40 psi in the pass side and 25 psi on the drivers side.  This levels it out nice.  I need more psi in the pass side because my fresh water tank is on that side.

The ones I have are a single bladder.  You can see it in this pic just above the hub.

HURF

khantroll

Hi Surfinhurf,

Do you happen to remember which model of Ride Rite you have?

Thanks!

Surfinhurf

Nope, been too long,,too many brain cells damaged between then and now :D

Ill look on the bag to see if there is a part number.

I do remember I had to measure the space between the spring/axle and frame. That is how they came up with the bag I needed

HURF