One Battery

Started by C&T2, May 28, 2016, 07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C&T2

New to the world of RV'ing and has been an amazing learning experience. Thanks to everyone on this site, I've learned more than I thought possible. Wish I had some of this knowledge when we fell in love with our '74 Indian a couple of weeks back...

Tried searching, but haven't found something similar. PO had only one chassis battery, and no house battery - yet the interior lights, fan, water pump etc. work. My understanding now is that should not even be possible (DUAL/MOM switch is off), right? Has the system been jury rigged? Have since bought an additional battery, but want to ensure proper configuration/separation.

Additionally, how does one confirm proper shoreline operation? I had 'er plugged in, but now suspect she was running off the battery.

Thanks!

Rickf1985

You are going o have to get hold of a wiring diagram, Dave's are much better than the originals, and basically go over the whole system. My guess is that they probably just moved one wire to the other side of the auxiliary solenoid. If you find that solenoid and both heavy wires are on one side then that is the modification that needs to be undone. BUT, It will be best to go over a diagram first just to be sure there are no other surprises.

DaveVA78Chieftain

The B+ cable from each battery connects to the Battery Cross Connect Solenoid which is operated by the DUAL/NORM/MOM switch.
Might help if we had some pics of the battery area.

QuoteAdditionally, how does one confirm proper shoreline operation? I had 'er plugged in, but now suspect she was running off the battery.
Disconnect the battery then connect it to shore power.

[move][/move]

C&T2

Thanks Rick and Dave. I had seen one of Dave's other diagrams and had quickly looked, but guess I didn't see the obvious the first time. Second look and yup, looks like the chassis battery was hooked up to the right side of the battery solenoid. Cable coming off of the left side merges into the cable from the generator and sits waiting for a new battery.

Planning on replacing the battery cables, so will get that all sorted out! Thanks so much.