1977 M400 Dana 70 dual rear axle nut. Brake job

Started by Surfinhurf, May 27, 2016, 10:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surfinhurf

I'm trying to do a brake job on the rear of the Winnie.  What a PITA.  EVERYTHING needs to be removed to get to the brakes.  I'm stuck at the axle nut.  Online info tells me I need a 2 9/16" axle nut socket,,I purchase one,,it spins on the nut, just a hair big.  The nut measures 2.5375" face to face.  I ASSuME a 2.5" socket will be .0375" too small.   I could try to use a chisel or vice grips but I ASSuME that the nut will need to be torqued to some value when reassembled.
Any suggestions?
Any suggestions?

HURF

HURHURF

Rickf1985

You didn't by chance catch the locking tab under the caliper when you measured did you? I will bet it is 2 1/2". I think if you explain what you are doing to the counter guy at the parts store he would let you bring it back if it does not fit. Those spindle nut sockets are not real close tolerance fit sockets so you should be good with 2 1/2". Never use a chisel! Even worse case scenario you cane use a punch but a chisel will just cut the edges off of the nuts.

DaveVA78Chieftain

If I recall correctly, 2.5" is correct.  It is a tight fit and you have to tap the socket onto the nut.
Make sure you you use a punch to bend the locking tab behind the nut back so the nut will turn.  I can see the tip of it on the top of the nut in your pic.

1976 and Later Dodge Class A M400 (Hydroboost) Motorhome Brakes

Bendix Duo-Servo Brake Systems

Rear Nut Tightening

[move][/move]

Surfinhurf

OK, I'm a dumb azz.  It was on the nut,,,spinning.  I was expecting the nut to be torqued.  It wasn't even finger tight.  I super glued a .5mm shim to one flat of the 2 9/16" socket and it fit snug on the nut.  So I spun it by hand and off came the nut.

2 9/16' is the correct socket for my 77 m400 dana 70 axle nut.....

SMH

HURF