Alarms and detectors help for Coach

Started by brunson67, May 26, 2016, 02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brunson67

Hello, I'm a newbie, we just recently purchased our first Motorhome, 1991 Winnebago Chieftain 32 foot. I'd like to upgrade the safety of the cabin by installing two smoke detectors, carbon monoxide, and a propane.

1. Can I use basic battery operated household type detectors, like First Alert or Kidde?
2. I can't find a battery operated propane detector, does anybody know of one, if not available and I need to hard wire one in, what is recommended?

I understand smoke and carbon monoxide get mounted high, and the propane gets mounted low, but still looking at my options on where to mount the LP detector. Not sure if it should one I cut into a cabinet and flush mount, or put a surface mount.

Thanks in advance!

Froggy1936

Hi I got my propane detector from a Trailer in a junk yard It is 12V hard wired into House batterys it has a off & on swich on he face and is extremely sensitive If I don't turn on ex fan in the bathroom when applying Right Guard it will activate from the propellant in the can ! I mounted it in the frt of the cabinet that houses the camper furnace directly across from the stove ! Frank  :)ThmbUp
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rickf1985

From what I understand the propane detectors have a life span of about ten years and then have to be replaced. Is that just marketing? Smoke detector do go bad, I know that for fact.

beaverman

Rick, my 88 Super Chief has the original propane detector and works just fine, don't know if it's marketing or not but... if it works leave it alone!

brunson67

Can I use standard smoke and CO detectors, battery operated, like from Home Depot?
The LP detector I'll probably have to get an actual RV one.

joanfenn

that's what I have in ours.  they work fine.