Jacking up/Lifting 73 Winnebago Indian D24

Started by Jonbbrew, May 22, 2016, 09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonbbrew

Hey all,

As i looking to solving my on going brake issues, etc. i am finding that i will need to jack up this huge rig. Not a easy thing to stomach. So will these items handle the job safely?
Hm?
6 Ton Jack Stands
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-ton-steel-jack-stands-69596.html

12 Ton Bottle Jack
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-hydraulic-heavy-duty-bottle-jack-69476.html

Will i need the low profile bottle jack or the regular version?
Keep Er' Goin' Eh!

Jonathan

M & J

Yes, but opt for 20 ton jack if you can afford it. Hope you're working on concrete. 4x4's for cribbing and never use concrete blocks for support.
M & J

Jonbbrew

Quote from: M & J on May 22, 2016, 10:11 PM
Yes, but opt for 20 ton jack if you can afford it. Hope you're working on concrete. 4x4's for cribbing and never use concrete blocks for support.

Why so much lift weight of the jack but not the stands? Just for overkill safety?
Keep Er' Goin' Eh!

Jonathan

M & J

Ease. I have both and even though through 12 ton lifts ok, the 20 ton seems to pump easier.
M & J

TerryH

And the prime safety factor while working underneath comes from the stands. Good and required jack rating to raise and hold while you place the stands. Jacks are just that - jacks. Never rely on them while working under the vehicle. That is the purpose of properly rated, placed and supported jack stands. No one wants to hear that your clothing size has changed because you relied on jacks while working under your unit. N:( N:(
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Jonbbrew

Quote from: TerryH on May 23, 2016, 12:04 AM
And the prime safety factor while working underneath comes from the stands. Good and required jack rating to raise and hold while you place the stands. Jacks are just that - jacks. Never rely on them while working under the vehicle. That is the purpose of properly rated, placed and supported jack stands. No one wants to hear that your clothing size has changed because you relied on jacks while working under your unit. N:( N:(
Definitely stands along with at jack as back up. A large concrete location for me might be an issue though.
Keep Er' Goin' Eh!

Jonathan

Rickf1985

I have nothing but dirt and I made up jack stand pads from 2x6's cut 14" nailed together as cribbing. If your ground is soft then go with 2x12's and 16" long. Two wide and then lay two on top in the other direction lining up the corners. You will have a hole in the center. nail them with 2 1/2" nails or screws and then put another layer on again opposed direction and nail/screw. When done turn them over and nail screw from the bottom and you are done. These will be heavy so you are not going to be trucking them around with you but when home they are great for support. The jack can go on one set of 2x6's at least two deep in opposed directions and nailed to prevent breaking. The guys lucky enough to have concrete driveways don't have to go through all of this but if you have asphalt then you need at least one layer of wood to prevent the stands from sinking in.

NOTE!!!! Make DAMN SURE the stands and jack are all level when setting up!!! I almost lost the whole rig when an unlevel stand started to go over. Luckily I had a ratchet strap close by and tied the rig off to a nearby tree to stabilize it and then had to get a comealong and several more straps to pull it up straight before I could get under there and jack it back up. I did NOT want to go under there for sure!!!!! I actually just slid the jack under and then did all the jacking with a long bar from outside. Just learn from that and pay close attention to what you are doing. If you are not actually working on a corner then try to have a tire on it, that way if it comes down it does not come all the way down.

Block the rear wheels (or front if you are working on the back) front and back of the wheel.

The 20 ton jack is the way to go, you will find that Harbor freight highly over rates their jacks. You will never lift 20 tons in a million years with that jack. I had to jack up a mobile home at work and although they are big they are not really all that heavy and it just was not happening. I went and bought the air powered 20 ton and have never regretted it. You can pump it by hand or if you have air, ahhhhhhh.

Rickf1985

On the jack stands the weight rating is only half of it, you do not want to have the stands fully extended when using them so if you have to go to the frame get stands that will reach the frame with only half the height stand extended at the height you need. That said keep in mind you wll be using the previously mentioned cribbing for under the stands....................................... WILL YOU NOT?!