range hood light / fan does not work (1973 Winnebago Brave D18)

Started by perlgurl, May 06, 2016, 09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perlgurl

I'm trying to figure out why the range hood and fan are not working in my RV. 

I've got a new bulb, pulled out the disgusting old filter cover, removed the old bee's hive and I have the RV on shore power so it seems like it should just work when I turn the knobs, but it doesn't.  I've confirmed that I have got (some) power in the RV, outlets and interior lights are working at least, and I've looked to see if there is a separate fuse switch that might need to be switched on but I'm just not finding it.

Suggestions? 

I do know I need to trace all the wiring in the unit.  I've had a go with the fuses and some are working and perhaps one that isn't is the cause for this, but I wonder if there is something else I might be missing that is easy.

perlgurl

I wonder if perhaps I have the wrong bulb in the range:

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,1525.msg32816.html#msg32816

Do I need a special type of appliance bulb for the hood? Still does not explain why the fan doesn't work....

M & J

Probably needs a 12v bulb. But try to trace the 12v back to the source. What else doesn't work in the coach?
M & J

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

perlgurl

I've got outlets working on both sides of the coach.  I've got lights working in the bathroom and over the kitchen table, but the (very newly installed) light fixture over the couch on the driver side is not working and neither is the weird little cone light over the couch (new appropriate bulbs installed in all of these). 

So far other than some minor light issues this seems to be the only "big" thing besides the fridge that does not work. 

M & J

All the 12th fixtures have fuses. Turn everything 12v onthen start pulling the fuses one at a time and what if anything goes out. Label as you go. Some older fuses may look good but it is broken under the cap where you cant see. Do you have a 12v test light?
M & J

Froggy1936

Also drill out the rivets on the vent hood exaust outlet and install a piece of aluminum screen door screen  Re rivet with pop rivets  ! That will prevent further nests , I had one so big it jammed the fan  :(!  Mine had a fuse holder I had to empty the cabinet and lift the cabinet floor The fuse holder was there just above the range hood  i?? The fuse holder must come with the range hood so they just leave it in the circuit  Hm?  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Aaarrghh

My rig is 10 years newer than yours, but I've had my share of similar mystery electricals not working. What I now do first is start cleaning connections, starting at the thing that doesn't work. Often a corroded connector is the problem. It doesn't take much corrosion to block 12 volts.

perlgurl

Success! We pulled all the wire connectors from the glass fuses and re-attached them (cleaning them, in essence) and now lights work on both sides of the coach, plus the vent fan works too! I still need to get a 12V bulb to test to the hood light, but at least now I know I've got power going to the range hood. 

M & J

M & J

perlgurl

Quote from: Froggy1936 on May 07, 2016, 11:53 AM
Also drill out the rivets on the vent hood exaust outlet and install a piece of aluminum screen door screen  Re rivet with pop rivets  ! That will prevent further nests , I had one so big it jammed the fan  :( 

This is on my list to get done before my next trip out.  Thanks for the suggestion :)

perlgurl

Minor update: I bought a 12V bulb and now my range light works! Hooray for cooking with light!

TerryH

It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

perlgurl

I started typing "cooking with gas" but since this was about the light.....

:)

xerofall

Quote from: perlgurl on May 16, 2016, 08:31 PM
Minor update: I bought a 12V bulb and now my range light works! Hooray for cooking with light!

The bulb plagued me for months because I bought a regular home range bulb, didn't even occur to me that I needed a 12v bulb... der on me.

perlgurl

Quote from: xerofall on May 17, 2016, 11:46 AM
The bulb plagued me for months because I bought a regular home range bulb, didn't even occur to me that I needed a 12v bulb... der on me.

I'm so glad to hear I was not the only one who made this mistake! It makes sense NOW of course....

Jonbbrew

Quote from: Froggy1936 on May 07, 2016, 11:53 AM
Also drill out the rivets on the vent hood exaust outlet and install a piece of aluminum screen door screen  Re rivet with pop rivets  ! That will prevent further nests , I had one so big it jammed the fan  :( !  Mine had a fuse holder I had to empty the cabinet and lift the cabinet floor The fuse holder was there just above the range hood  i?? The fuse holder must come with the range hood so they just leave it in the circuit  Hm?  Frank

Good tip! Had a old huge wasp nest in mine also when purchase.
Keep Er' Goin' Eh!

Jonathan