original distributor on dodge 440ci 1979.

Started by budder, May 02, 2016, 03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

budder

Hi all I'm in the process of restoring a old dodge coachman rv which is running a 440ci engine the problem i have is its running a after market carb i think its a edelbrock carb all of the original vacuum pipes and gadets have all been unpluged and the advance and retarded vacuum is taken from the bottom of the carb and its running the original distributor .
Will this all work ok or do i have to change any thing.

bearingsmith

Sir.
Is the EGR valve still hooked up to ported  vacuum?
The distributor should be hooked to manifold vacuum. and the EGR is hooked to ported vacuum.
We also use a Edelbrock carb with electric chok
An earlier post stated that the 440-1 engine used spark plugs with a gasket and the 440-3 engine used spark plugs with a tapered seat.
As this is our first motorhome  I checked the spark plugs and sure enough they were incorrect. Someone had installed spark plugs with the gasked and should have had the tapersed seat. A 14mm plug tap had to be used to clean the threads, so the correct plugs would seat approx 3/16 inch deeper into the combustion chamber.[size=78%] [/size]
[/size]Also check the plug wires with an ohm meter. If the wires need replacing purchase the best you can find.[size=78%]
[/size]There is a lot of fine info on this sight once person can navigate properly.[size=78%]

budder

Hi there buddy.
How do i tell if it's a 440-3 and what does the egr valve looks like.
Cheers