Geocaching, fun for the whole family...

Started by Clyde9, November 10, 2008, 10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

Crazy Jim

"Basically, geocaching is a high-tech version of treasure hunting. Geocachers seek out hidden treasures utilizing GPS coordinates posted on the Internet by those hiding the cache. Using a Garmin® GPS unit, they then trek out into the backwoods or urban jungles to find the hiding spot of the cache. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. If the visitor takes something out of the cache, they are asked to leave something in return. For some, the biggest reward is the thrill of the search and the discovery of a place that they have never been.
The Rules:

This growing outdoor sport has a simple set of rules, making it easy for anyone to play. The challenging part is finding the cache. Some caches have even been planted on mountainsides and underwater!

Once geocachers find a cache, they follow these basic rules:

# fill out the logbook
# take something out of the cache
# put something in the cache
# return the cache to the exact position and condition in which it was found

Caches typically consist of a waterproof container discreetly placed within the local terrain. The container will include a logbook and any number of more or less valuable items such as toys, books, money, jewelry, trinkets, etc. You never know what the founder or other visitors of the cache may have left for you to enjoy. Be sure to fill out the logbook with the date and time you visit the cache and leave something in return

One other thing I might add is that most Geocachers like to practice CITO, which is Cache In & Trash Out?

Some of the caches have 35mm film canisters with a trash bag in them for people to take & you don?t have to leave anything in return?

If anyone needs more info or any help, please feel free to ask me?

I have been Geocaching since Nov. 2001?

I love it & anyone can do it... All you need is a GPSr, a computer & the Internet...

Crazy Jim

PS? And I bought my Winnebago because it was fiberglass?

Sent: 7/28/2006 10:57 PM

www.geocaching.com