Are these the correct motor mount brackets on 360 engine

Started by John.0, May 01, 2016, 04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John.0

I'm having some issues with my motor mounts(as you can see in the photos).There is steel tube sandwiched in there,I guess for a spacer.Looking through the parts catalogue and posts on here I think the rubber engine mount I'm looking for had two bolts out the top and one out the bottom.The engine mount brackets mounted to the engine only have one hole,it is elongated but nowhere near enough to fit the two top bolts of the rubber mount.Also it looks like if I was to remove the metal spacers or install what appears to be the proper(thinner) rubber mount the chassis and engine brackets would not line up.

Anybody have any ideas or know if my brackets are right or wrong??

Rickf1985

That is for sure not right! Now if you took those engine brackets and swapped sides it would probably line up the holes for the mounts but would dropping the engine down put the fan outside of the fan shroud? I am wondering why that was done? Hopefully someone will have a clear picture of the proper setup.

John.0

Quote from: Rickf1985 on May 01, 2016, 04:53 PM
That is for sure not right! Now if you took those engine brackets and swapped sides it would probably line up the holes for the mounts but would dropping the engine down put the fan outside of the fan shroud? I am wondering why that was done? Hopefully someone will have a clear picture of the proper setup.

Thanks Rick,I thought about switching them to see what happens too.There is no shroud on the vehicle(something I'm going to be looking for in the near future)Either way I still don't think that the rubber mounts with two bolts on the top would fit these brackets.Also if I remember correctly according to the V.I.N. this had a 440 in it.
I don't have the time right this minute to check it but the chassis V.I.N is M4OCA9T512749 and the coach is 10F45K153586

Maybe someone did an engine swap and these brackets and engine are from a truck or something.And yes a clear picture o the proper setup would be great.

Rickf1985

That engine seems to be sitting way too high. Is the fan centered on the radiator? Most mounts with a slot use one bolt to allow for side to side adjustment and alignment. I am not a Dodge expert but I am sure one of the guys who has done this will be on shortly.

DaveVA78Chieftain

You need to purchase the Service and Parts manuals from the site store to help answer these sort of questions.

Dodge P/N 2264675

[move][/move]

John.0

I have it "Looking through the parts catalogue" although the pictures aren't as clear as what you just posted.Not to mention 90% of the part numbers I search are obsolete and can't even be crossed.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

John.0

Quote from: Rickf1985 on May 01, 2016, 05:48 PM
That engine seems to be sitting way too high. Is the fan centered on the radiator? Most mounts with a slot use one bolt to allow for side to side adjustment and alignment. I am not a Dodge expert but I am sure one of the guys who has done this will be on shortly.

The rad is out,I'm in the process of pulling the engine and trans.I saw mounts with one bolt on each side but it looks like if I go any thinner than it is now the brackets won't line up properly.That could just be my eyes though?The parts manual definitly shows two holes in the engine side brackets though.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Unless a PO changed them out, that P/N is the original stock version.
[move][/move]

John.0

Quote from: DaveVA78Chieftain on May 01, 2016, 06:43 PM
Unless a PO changed them out, that P/N is the original stock version.

Well things have definitely been changed.Now I need to find out if the current brackets will work and alligne properly with the different style rubber mount.Or if I have to try and track down some OEM mounts for a motorhome.

Rickf1985

Does the frame mount have a slotted hole? If it does then it is designed for the single stud. If the double studs will fit in the slot I am sure it will work. Like I said, it sees like that motor is a LONG ways away from the frame. It also looks like from the pictures that if you swap side the mounts they would be positioned right to line up. I would get the new rubber mounts since you are going to need them anyway and see if they will work once you swap around the motor brackets and lose the spacers.

John.0

Quote from: Rickf1985 on May 01, 2016, 07:08 PM
Does the frame mount have a slotted hole? If it does then it is designed for the single stud. If the double studs will fit in the slot I am sure it will work. Like I said, it sees like that motor is a LONG ways away from the frame. It also looks like from the pictures that if you swap side the mounts they would be positioned right to line up. I would get the new rubber mounts since you are going to need them anyway and see if they will work once you swap around the motor brackets and lose the spacers.

Rick,both the frame and engine brackets are slotted.The slots are two inches on both and it doesn't look like the double bolt mount would fit.Looking at them more I think you might be on to something with swapping sides in the photo DaveVA posted it looks like the angled side of the mounts are on the outside of the engine.Mine are on the inside.

Rickf1985

Even if the two bolts from the rubber mount will not go into the slot of the engine bracket you can probably either elongate one end or drill one hole and make it work. I think height wise they will be the same. Short of that is junkyard scrounging to find the correct set.

Thinking about it if that mounting bracket has a slotted hole that is only slotted 2 inches that means it was set up to be the receiver of the single bolt from the mount. That hole is probably the center point of the mount and once you get the new rubber mount you might find that if you lay it on the bracket and use that slot as a center mark you can drill your holes exactly the same distance from either end of the slot for the mount and it will be in the right place.

Rickf1985

I just went and looked at your pictures again and marking out the upper mount will be easy. Once you get the new mount measure how thick it is and make a couple of spacers to lay on the mounts so that you can set the engine on the spacers with just the bracket to frame mount but an opening in the center. Stacked up paint stirrer sticks comes to mind. Once the engine is sitting on the frame mount with the spacers tack a ice pick or metal scribe and go up through the slotted hole in the frame mount and draw an outline of that hole on the frame mount on the engine. Now you know exactly where the bottom stud will be when the engine is sitting in the mounts and you can see where the top holes for the rubber mount need to be. You may need to drill both, or you may be able to use the slot for one and drill one hole or you may be to close to the slot to drill and you may just have to elongate the slot for both holes.
When you set the engine down for your marks, be sure it is centered. Measure from the frame on one side over to the engine mount on the other side and compare sides, move engine until it is perfectly centered. This way you will have leeway if you need to jockey the engine a bit once it is mounted. That is why the slotted holes.

John.0

I don"t think these brackets are going to work.I pulled them off and tried to switch them but the driverside only has one lobe for a bolt on the back so when it's on the passenger side there is nothing for it to bolt to.The rubber mounts I pulled out were the three bolt ones with the two pieces of steel tube welded on either side of the two bolts.

In the photos I have an inch of wood in between  the brackets and they are not even close to being lined up,even with two inches it is still out.The engine is a bit crooked but straight enough to get the point.It does look better leveled though without those crazy mounts the PO had in there.

Rickf1985

Now what if you take the bracket off and turn it 180 degrees and put it back on? And what you did with the wood block is exactly what I was talking about for scribing the line on the mounts.

John.0

The passenger side could be made to work by grinding the bracket a bit where the front bolts go.the driver side won't works since the bracket only has three holes,if flipped it would only be attached by two bolts.

I think I'm going to have to post in the want section,add some metal to these or make some new ones

Rickf1985

Are you putting another 360 in it? Maybe make an adapter out of 1/4 plate that will bolt or weld to the original frame mount and then you can drill a hole where needed for the mount. I would get the right motor mounts first and then use plywood to mock up an adapter. I am thinking the 440 was a physically bigger motor so any brackets you find for that may not fit the 360. The only problem I see is if you go the adapter plate route will you have room to drill the mount hole in the adapter plate and original mount below and not run into the side of the mount frame? It would be nice to have a shop machine the slot in a plate so that all you had to do was put that in place and Just a rotary file to elongate the original slot under it. This is where using a piece of plywood to mock everything up first would make life easier.

John.0

I plan on putting the same(360)engine back in after a refresh if all goes well.I just checked the vin and according to it there was a 440 in it.You're probably right about it being bigger so the frame mounts are probably farther apart and maybe even a bit lower.

The idea I had was to mount the proper rubber mount on the frame brackets and modify the engine brackets to fit.Welding a plate under them and out as far as needed and obviously supporting the sides,then drilling the two holes where needed.This way the only thing I'll have to buy is the rubber mounts I need anyways.I'l take a look at both options though and see what looks like it would be the strongest and best.

DaveVA78Chieftain

That explains it
The 360 bracket P/N
Driver: 4036001
Passenger: 4036002

The 440 bracket P/N
Driver: 3894719
Passenger: 3894718

Using a 440 bracket on a 360 engine
[move][/move]

John.0

I thought about that too but the parts manual shows the rubber mount #14 and #18 as being the same part number.So wouldn't both the 440 and 360 brackets have two holes in them?I think the brackets on the engine are from a car or truck.

Rickf1985

The frame mounts are going to be the same for all engines, only the engine mounts will change so modifying the engine mounts would probably be the better route. You are going to have to get a shroud and a radiator so you know where the engine needs to sit. Or design your mount so you can change the height when needed.

John.0

I think I'm going to post a want add for the proper mounts and see how that goes,if that doesn't work I guess I will modify them.
The engine will be out for a little bit so I have some time to figure things out.
I have a feeling it's going to be hard(and expensive) to find a shroud,so I was planning to put a couple of electric fans on the rad.The fan that is on the engine right now is direct drive and attached to a spacer.

DaveVA78Chieftain

The 440 mounts are little bit deeper than the 360

[move][/move]