remodeling dodge coachman

Started by budder, May 01, 2016, 02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickf1985

That thing was obviously in worse shape than it looked like it was in the beginning!

budder

On the whole she's not to bad driver floor was gone
Scuttle above the engine has but I've bodged that up for the time being over winter i will take the engine and box out and do it properly.

Rickf1985

That is a hard, and expensive, color to paint. It is very touchy with getting the shade to blend evenly throughout the whole job. And on a monster palette like you have! I can't wait to see it.

budder

Had a good day on the rv today I've plyed the ceiling started making the bunk beds and nearly finshed the trim on the passengers side.

FN Duck

Top notch work ..... After seeing all the time and effort you are putting into the floor pans and engine compartment are you making any mods to reduce the heat transferred from the engine to the engine cover. I remember how hot the covers became with the big block manifolds. I tried a few things to reduce the heat but never had much luck ... Keep up with the quality work it looks great .... ☺

budder

I might try some ceramic blanket on the underside of the cover apart from that i will see what it is like.
Thanks I've got a dead line we are going away in it in 3 weeks. W%

budder

I was planning to do a body off job on her i was only hoping to seal the leaks and tart up the inside, but it was to far gone. Any how I've done a bit more on the bunk beds

budder

Quote from: Rickf1985 on June 28, 2016, 08:24 PM
That is a hard, and expensive, color to paint. It is very touchy with getting the shade to blend evenly throughout the whole job. And on a monster palette like you have! I can't wait to see it.
Hi Rick.
I'm not spraying the whole thing just the cab.
So hopefully should be ok. W% :)ThmbUp

Rickf1985

Come on, GO FOR IT! :D :D ;) ;) ;)   Copper metallic basecoat clearcoat. One coat of clear and then a second coat of clear mixed with a thinned copper metallic paint and then a third and fourth coat of clear. You could reach right into the paint! If your painting skills are equal to your metalworking and woodworking skills you are up to it.

budder

She moved under her own power and stopped today
It's getting closer to the mot. D:oH!

budder

Well tomorrow is the big day she's going for her mot.
She is all insured and has got break down cover. 🙈🙉🙊

Rickf1985

Better get another headlight!

budder

Hopefully it should be ok they only check the beam pattern on dip beam not full beam. But yes i will be getting new light's they are on my list.
I also need two new rear shocks a drivers side manifold
Im looking to get these from rockauto are they any good.

Rickf1985

I buy a lot of my stuff from them. It can be a pain trying to decide which part to get sometimes since they give such a long list for each part and sometimes the list is not real accurate. If it does not sound just right do a bit of research on it first. But overall I have been very happy with them, pretty fast shipping to me anyway, I don't know about overseas. Sent you a pm about your reverse switch also.

budder

Hi I've ordered from them 3 times all turn up within 5 days some parts turned up after 3 days  i?? They must use magic fairy dust. I've had a problem with some brake shoes right box wrong part in side they replaced and shipped out to me foc.

budder

Well she has passed the mot today. I started to make the rear seats today.

budder

sasktrini

Sparks flying... that will be a great seat!  Like the speaker install too!
Corey aka sasktrini

budder

Quote from: sasktrini on July 25, 2016, 06:41 PM
Sparks flying... that will be a great seat!  Like the speaker install too!
Thanks I've still got 4 more speakers to go 6x9. D:oH!
It will be rocking by the time I've finshed. W%

budder

Sorry for the delay in replying.  She has been on her first camping trip only a 60 mile trip but its all country road so i never went above 50mph.
It went quite well. But the exhaust manifold got very hot and i could here the petrol boiling in the carb is this normal? I guess the timing is out which is next on the list and a carb tune up.

Rickf1985

Not normal to hear the carb boiling, if the timing is too far retarded then it will run quite hot. Check to make sure all of your vacuum lines are connected and in good condition since this can also affect timing.

budder

Well I'm back since coming back from the camping trip last year the old dodge has just been sitting there. So the first thing on the list to do is to take the engine out as the bulkhead/firewall needs welding. When the engine is out I will spray the engine and the engine bay.
Also it would be a good time to refresh the engine, I'm going to take the heads of and get them skimmed and replace a few leaky gaskets. It's also a good time to upgrade the engine i was thinking of using one of these http://www.manciniracing.com/fboigboxrevl.html
And this http://fitechefi.com/products/30003/ anybody had any experience with them?

Gearhead88

Wow ! very ambitious project to say the least.  You have some skills.

stanDman111

Rickf1985

That seems like it would be a good combination of parts, note that the ignition needs to be used with a Pertronics setup. A couple of other things that will definitely help you out would be a set of long tube headers and a crossover pipe in the dual exhaust. Be sure to replace the timing chain and gears while you are in there. An alternative way to go with the ignition would be a HEI distributor where everything is in the distributor.