1978 Itasca GasTank Rejuvinated

Started by jdawg, April 29, 2016, 03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdawg

Here is a step-by step of my gas tank rejuvenation. It sat 4 years with putrid gas in it. New tank cost: $220.00 Rejuvenation $50.00. I started with a drill and wire brush to the exterior. Painted the outside with undercoating from CARQUEST. Made a make-shift rock tumbler with a 55 gallon drum, ratchet strap and $2.00 of rocks from dollar tree(see my album for a pic of this). Used Rustoleum Rust Dissolver from Autozone with the rock tumbler and viola-super clean tank!

Rickf1985

Looks great, I saw the picture of the tank strapped to the drum but made it work? How did the tumbling action happen?

jdawg

Thanks Rick. I saw a few videos of people shaking tanks in their arms so thought the strapping on top of the drum and rocking it to and fro would be easier. It was!

Rickf1985

Ok, I just can't wrap my head around how that worked. I can't see how the drum would seal to the top of the tank so you must not have been inverting it and if rocks were used there must have been rotational motion for that to work. Hey, as long as it works. :)ThmbUp

jdawg

I put the old sending unit back in the tank and flipped it over, re-strapped and continued the rocking exercise to clean the inside of the top. Crude, inexpensive and effective. RV'ing on a shoe string budget! The challenge was getting the rocks back out! I cut an opening in the bottom of a plastic cup kinda making a catcher's mit, inserted it into the upside down tanks sending unit hole, and caught the rocks while rocking. I have a video but have to condense it to put it on the album.