Part number for 1985 - 454 Exhaust Flange Gasket?

Started by Hahn007, April 28, 2016, 02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hahn007

Hi,
Anybody know the correct part number for the exhaust manifold to pipe flange gasket for an 85 P30 454?

There is one gasket on the drivers side and two on the passenger side. There is a butterfly valve on the passenger side that is sandwiched between the pipe and the manifold requiring two gaskets.

Also have a sneaky suspicion that the original owner replaced the original manifolds with oring style. Can't get any info on these manifolds, so I don't know if they would use stock gm flange gaskets or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rickf1985

Any parts store should have those gaskets listed under a Chevy P30. That is where I get mine. My heat riser valve is on the drivers side though? Are you sure you are not backwards? Makes no difference, same gaskets. Sorry, I don't have the parts numbers, been a while since I did it.

BrianB

Same thing Rick just said. I bought mine at Autozone a few weeks back. Just take them with you and double-check what they bring out from the stock room.

Also, like Rick, my butterfly valve is on the driver's side.

If you intend to change the studs, this is the kit you need: Dorman 03147 Exhaust Flange Hardware Kit
Check out my RV trip planning & prep: http://alaska.boorman.us/

The movie Twister - that research instrument? Yeah, she figured it out.

Hahn007

Yeah I'm positive, heat riser valve is on the passenger side on mine. Maybe previous owner switched it for some reason, although looked untouched and factory though......

Tried Napa, orielley, AutoZone, nobody seems to know which flange gaskets for sure and there seems to be about four or five different choices. None of them seem to be exactly correct though.

Also there was a short 3-4" pipe insert that was part of the original flange gaskets that I removed. Anybody have any insight into these?

Rickf1985

I have an 88 but if I remember correctly the 85 should be the same and use a regular dount style flange gasket. You probably do not even need the heat riser unless you need fast warmups in very cold weather for some reason. They tend to freeze shut with age and cause overheating issues. Mine is still there but welded open. Only because my pipes are in good shape and I did not want to modify the pipe. If you need to change the pipe for any reason get rid of the heat riser before it gives you a problem down the road.

BrianB

Check out my RV trip planning & prep: http://alaska.boorman.us/

The movie Twister - that research instrument? Yeah, she figured it out.

Rickf1985

That's the one. Hahn, if you do not have this type then it is possible that some muffler shop has rigged something up.