Gas tank fill hose needed

Started by tiinytina, April 27, 2016, 07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiinytina

So in dropping Gone's tank a few weeks ago we replaced all the rubber bits :) between sending unit (if it ain't broke dont fix it  :angel: ) and the various fuel lines... however.. Brad didn't have any rubber fuel hose the size needed to go between the fill port and the tank.  Fortunately I had a radiator hose new under the dinette which actually had the wider one end and smaller total ID/OD which was a perfect fit once cut down to the whole maybe 8" we needed. the original one was all the same OD/ID but had been double clamped to compensate on the smaller tank side connection. 

Given this is a radiator hose meant for coolant vs fuel....  I'm guessing I  should to replace it? though fuel will only run through it and not be held there....  though the hose is heavy gauge rubber etc...  thoughts?   Anyone have a part number?   
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Rickf1985

It will swell and turn to mush eventually, just the gas vapor has hydrocarbons in it so there is the problem. I wojld not say it is an emergency but don't let it go too long.

legomybago

The last time I purchased large fuel hose like 2" or 2 1/4" or something? Can't remember the size.....You paid by the INCH, and it was a few dollars an INCH!!! So measure what you exactly need, then go out and shop. I found mine at a Freightliner dealer/parts dept.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Froggy1936

When I had my fuel tank out the first time 7 Yrs ago I replaced the fill hose with a piece of radiator hose I had in stock Approx 8 in long about 4 in exposed between pipes after installation . I had the tank out again 2 yrs ago and the hose looked perfect No flakeing or mushiness So I reused it again  I would say just keep an eye on it ea spring inspection If it does not feel soft and mushy don't worry about it. But I would also get a new hose to have on hand if and when !   Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

turbinebronze

When I replaced my fuel tank in the Travco, I used fuel fill tubing for a boat, from a marina. (That big chunk of hose looked funny hanging off the back of the bike!)   

legomybago

Quote from: turbinebronze on April 27, 2016, 12:03 PM
When I replaced my fuel tank in the Travco, I used fuel fill tubing for a boat, from a marina. (That big chunk of hose looked funny hanging off the back of the bike!)
Good idea, you may or may not save a few bucks on it....

Rickf1985

When I put the body lift on my Jeep I used radiator hose and it did not last too long. Interesting that one does and one doesn't.

BrianB

What size/length hose do you need? I have extra 1-3/4 and 2 inch fuel filler neck hose.
Check out my RV trip planning & prep: http://alaska.boorman.us/

The movie Twister - that research instrument? Yeah, she figured it out.

Rickf1985

Hers was two different sizes, larger on one end than the other.

cncsparky

Tina, here is my experience with the same.  Not good!  It did not take long at all to start to turn to mush and leak.  Less than a month.
Luckily, I did not have to drop the tank on mine to replace the bad hose with good hose.  The Gates fuel hose I used is in one of the pictures with part number. 

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,9139.msg52529.html#msg52529
-Tom

tiinytina

yea the fill hose was last to be reattached after the tank was back in place so "shouldn't be hard" to replace it.. she says knowing that yea... there is never an easy button...  now to find the hose and buy it!

Rickf1985

If you have the old one call Gates hose and belt company and see if they have anything that will work.

tiinytina

Rock auto has the Gates 23968 hoses.. but only sold in a 3 pack?????  Amazon same Gates number is corrugated....  I'm sure the old one went directly into the trash at Brad's.   

Rickf1985

I have never seen a corrugated gas hose, that sounds like a universal water hose. OK, I just looked it up, it is gas hose and is corrugated on the outside only. BUT, it is 1 3/4 straight. Don't you need 1 3/4 x 2?

Rickf1985

Here is a link to the gates search for hoses. They are all straight, no multi-fit. Go to Automotive, Hoses and clamps and then fuel fill hose, 3 foot.
https://www.gatespowerpro.com/Comergent/en/US/adirect/gates?cmd=catNavigateFrame

My idea would be to get a 1 3/4" and a 2" and then get a 1 3/4" to 2" metal exhaust adapter and use that as the changeover for the hose sizes. Permatex #1 and double clamp the connections and they will NEVER come off. (Even if you want them to!)

Somebody here said they had a left over section of one of those sizes so you could probably make a deal on that one.

legomybago

My idea would be to get a 1 3/4" and a 2" and then get a 1 3/4" to 2" metal exhaust adapter and use that as the changeover for the hose sizes. Permatex #1 and double clamp the connections and they will NEVER come off. (Even if you want them to!)

This is what I used too (metal exhaust piece for reducer), but without the Permatex, and I had to deal with a slight leak afterwards that I fought. So definitely use the Permatex to maybe prevent a leak.

Rickf1985

Sorry, I had to edit the post above several times to get the link to work right. As it is you end up with all of the Gates products.