Any ideas for cleaning and de-stinking refrigerator needed badly.

Started by John.0, April 26, 2016, 08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John.0

The previous owner had what I think was a jug of milk explode in the fridge and like everything else it was left to decay.
What I thought would just dissolve with a little cleaning has turned out to be permanently attached to the plastic.It's like it scarred the plastic and bonded to it.It's raised up where it is but it cant even be scraped off.Then there's the smell,I have a feeling it is probably in the plastic for good.

Does anybody have any ideas?I don't have the money to replace it and the only thing I can think of as an absolute last resort would be to get some paint designed for plastic and paint the interior.

JessEm

According to Popular Science, this concoction will remove almost any odor. Mix 1 quart of Hydrogen Peroxide, 1/4 cup of Baking Soda, and one tablespoon of liquid dishwashing soap. Saturate the affected area, rinse thoroughly and repeat. This is also non-toxic and safe for your fridge.

John.0

Quote from: JessEm on April 26, 2016, 11:00 PM
According to Popular Science, this concoction will remove almost any odor. Mix 1 quart of Hydrogen Peroxide, 1/4 cup of Baking Soda, and one tablespoon of liquid dishwashing soap. Saturate the affected area, rinse thoroughly and repeat. This is also non-toxic and safe for your fridge.

Thanks I'll give it a try tomorrow.

JessEm

Please report back on your success. I've never tried it myself. Good luck.

It's probably not a good idea to try saving this potion in a sealed container.

M & J

It is also effective for removing skunk spray odor. Road kill near the house.
M & J

Elandan2

You may also have to take the door apart to clean around the seal.  I had a jug of milk spill in the fridge while traveling one time and I had to take the door apart to get it all out from the seal and the inside of the door.  I couldn't believe how much was trapped inside there.  Thankfully, I got right at it that day and avoided any odor problems.  Good Luck.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

John.0

Well I made the concoction and to my surprise it actually helped quite a bit.The odor is not 100% gone but it's alot better than it was,maybe some air and a couple more doses might do the trick.

Elandan2 yes the door will definitely need to be taken apart.I don't know whats inside the door but the seal will need some attention.

Rickf1985

Quote from: JessEm on April 26, 2016, 11:00 PM

I was kind of curious to see how this was going to work, I was picturing a giant foaming monster coming out of the container. :)rotflmao

John.0

Quote from: Rickf1985 on April 30, 2016, 09:56 AM
I was kind of curious to see how this was going to work, I was picturing a giant foaming monster coming out of the container. :)rotflmao

I kind of expected something to happen too but there was no reaction at all.
I did however get lots of suds from the dish soap which were a pain to get rinsed out.

JessEm

Quote from: Rickf1985 on April 30, 2016, 09:56 AM

lol  :)rotflmao

Nice to hear it's working. Thanks for posting an update on the situation. As for the raised areas, maybe a random orbit sander with fine paper? The sanded area probably won't match the rest, so I would try making it look like part of the design...

M & J

I knew it worked from a skunk being run over close to the house. Took care of that odor completely.
And if you want a huge foaming monster use vinegar and baking soda. That should also clean well.
M & J

John.0

Quote from: JessEm on April 30, 2016, 10:35 AM
lol  :)rotflmao

Nice to hear it's working. Thanks for posting an update on the situation. As for the raised areas, maybe a random orbit sander with fine paper? The sanded area probably won't match the rest, so I would try making it look like part of the design...

No problem and thanks for the advice.I have thought about sanding it but regardless if I can get all the smell out I'll be happy.

I don't know why I didn't think of it but I have used one of these in a stinky van I bought and it worked pretty well,so maybe I'll throw one of them in it and see if it finishes it off.

Rickf1985