TV Antenna check and repair

Started by Rickf1985, April 26, 2016, 06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickf1985

I am going to replace my antenna with a new Winegard Sensar IV. I am not going to replace the interior wiring unless I absolutely have to mainly because I have no idea how to get to it. According to my measurements it comes through the roof above the ceiling above the cabinets but too far in to be in the open area where the curved panel that has all the wiring is. In other words I would have to remove the wine closet and the entire wardrobe closet and the the other side I would have to remove the cabinets, range hood, DC control panel and maybe the refrigerator to get a clear shot at the whole ceiling sections. Real freakin' genius's put these together I tell ya'. What I want to do is test out the original antenna wire and HOPE it is still good on the inside and I can still use it. Can someone give me a procedure for testing out the wire?

M & J

The only thing you can do Rick is to check for continuity. Assuming you can get to both ends. Measure across the center and shield with nothing connected and the meter on ohms and it should read open. Short one end and it should read a dead (MOL) short. Anything else requires somewhat expensive test equipment. For off air use all you need is continuity anyway.
M & J

Rickf1985

That's what I figured. I am going to have to chisel away at it to get to the connector without damaging it. I am hoping the new antenna has the tool for the installation and removal of the old one.

DaveVA78Chieftain

The Sensar IV is a amplified and requires a coax cable. (20ft of cable in box)  You can also route through fridge vent like I did.
Is your original cable RG-6 Coax?  Concur with Mikes statement about continuity check.
Do you have 12VDC power routed to your access plate?  (pdf page 4 of http://www.winegard.com/kbase/uploads/2452013.pdf)
[move][/move]

brians1969

I thought I share this: the other day I thought my Jack antenna quit. The red light on the antenna was out. Fortunately I did some checking by going along the coax looking for 12 volts (it's amplified and sends 12 volts to the head).  The problem was in the cable that connects the head to the original Winegard base of the antenna. It gets alot of abuse -bending and twisting. Replaced it and all is good.

I should add that the cable was only 2 years old or so.

Rickf1985

My amplifier is in the cabinet above the windshield. The through plate for the cable appears to just be a square plate with a coax connector sticking straight up on the roof. I have to get 26 years of sealant off of it to actually see what is there. I have the original paperwork for it and that is what they show, what they don't show is how they put it in. Obviously it was put in BEFORE the interior OR the insulation!  Just like the radio antenna on the front top center on the roof. Ain't no way in hell of getting to that! Or the air horns.

Good call on the fridge vent Dave! Forgot all about that big hole. The only problem is on the new ones there is no way to run it to that big hole cleanly. But that s a much better option than dropping the whole interior.

Froggy1936

My Sensor IV lead failed after 2 yrs I replaced it with cable thru the fridge vent 3 yrs ago no problem since !
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

M & J

Sawzall is a fixall. :)

I edited what I first typed.
M & J

tiinytina

Rick.  A bunch of us have moved forward to the Jack antennae which is HD compatible, no box needed, in a place where I used to get 1 channel I get 17.  $50 or so.  more compact etc too, and mounts directly to the old Sensar armature.  knock on wood the cable still works perfectly.     
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Rickf1985

Tina, my old Sensor was trashe. All the gears and the pass through were bad so I just bought a whole new Sensor IV which is HD compatable. The box I was referring to was the amplifier for the old antenna, don't know if that is the same or not.

legomybago

We just use a nice set of rabbit ears. Put them up on the dash, scan some channels, good to go. In HD too
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

DaveVA78Chieftain

You do not have to have a fancy antenna to pick up HD.  Doesn't work that way.  My original 1970 era version that came with my rig picks up HD just fine from 30-60 miles away.

[move][/move]

87Itasca

Rick,

I just did this, so I may possibly be of some help. It is just a plate going through the ceiling with a coax terminal on the end. The cable from the antenna goes to that with a weather boot to keep it protected. I installed my boot, then put some clear ProFlex around the base of it, and around where the cable goes into the end of it, to make sure it stays weatherproof.

I had the original Sensar on mine, and I just replaced the antenna. Got the whole kit, like you, but I figured someone else already wired it all, no point going through all that trouble again. Replaced the antenna, screwed the coax into the switch plate, and turned my amplified switch on. Wa-lah!

On mine, the gear had broken. Thankfully my kit comes with a spare gear. :D

The reception is pretty lousy with it, for some reason. I'd like to think it's because I'm parked beside a metal building, but I'm not sure. The RCA flat antenna (looks like a giant mousepad) I have lazily (temporarily) tacked on one of the bedroom windows picks up nearly 40 channels.

For the record, any antenna will pick up the HD broadcast, even ones made in the 40's. You do not need a special antenna for HD, only a special TV. I think they are all at least 720p now, save for the little portable DVD players and such.