Tire conversion

Started by mattyj858, April 26, 2016, 11:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattyj858

i spoke with a tire guy who said the tire size conversion from a 8 x 17.5 would be a 215/70/17.5 load G. Is this correct for a 73 brave 20. It doesn't appear to be split rims, no apparent split in the rim and tubeless tires.
At this point he only has 4 and considering replacing all four in the rear and waiting for the fronts, any issue running radials in the rear and nylon up front?
Hope this works as he has a set of 4 installed for $200

legomybago

Don't mix and match Bias ply tires with Radials....You'll create a crab walk effect when going down the road. I did this once when I was a poor kid trying to save money...wait still am Hm?  I put a cheap used set of bias tires on the rear of my 1968 ford f250. I still had the radials on the front, the truck drove like crap on the highway.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

mattyj858

Thanks had a feeling about that. I'll wait for all 6 tires

Does anyone know if the 215/70/17.5 is the right conversion for 8x17.5 ?

brians1969

Here's a calculator to play with:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

They also have "tire size converter" and "tire height calculator" for you to click on.

mattyj858

Thanks couldn't seem to get info on 17.5" rim???

mattyj858

Hi guys, anyone have experience using 215/75/17.5 on the Dodge Rm350 8 lug?
I have a connection for all 6 tires for a screaming deal. 90% + tread on all 6, $300 installed. these are load G

I hear there might be a bead issue?

Will the ther be enough space between the rear dully? Someone mentioned a "kissing issue"

Any info is greatly appreciated, and hope these work!

Froggy1936

If you find they are the correct size make sure you ck the production date,  Time marches on & 7 years is the useable life of the tire even if never used !  W% Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

mattyj858

Quote from: Froggy1936 on May 04, 2016, 11:50 AM
If you find they are the correct size make sure you ck the production date,  Time marches on & 7 years is the useable life of the tire even if never used !  W% Frank

I am hoping someone has experience on this size, I don't want to take a gamble and find out they rub or worse stuck on the side of the road.

Gus79Chieftain

I just had 215 75 17.5 put on my 79 Cheiftain....new ones and they work great.

mattyj858

Awesome! I did make a mistake and confirmed I have a 300 chassis.
The price I found is too hard to turn down. I think I'll bring the rig in this week.

mattyj858

Hey guys, I put 215/75/17.5 on my 73 Brave 20 ( not split rims) today with no issues. Man big difference from the bias ply 8 17.5r

Jonbbrew

Never shopped for truck tires like these Rv load ones. So is it safe to assume we all have to buy $1500 worth of tires to only last us 7 years?

Or is there some sort of be for that has screaming deals?
Keep Er' Goin' Eh!

Jonathan

mattyj858

I think I got really lucky I scoured craigslist and found 2 year old tires based on the DOT dating for $300 installed.

Rickf1985

Look at the Samson tires if they have them in your size. Good prices and no complaints from any of us who are using them.

Licksquidink1

Looking to substitute 215/75/17.5 for the original 8.0 x 17.5  for the duallys. My research says  215's are 8.46 wide. Will the rub against each other? It's a 1978 Brave, not split rims.