Coleman Delta TX air conditioner control problem - 1986 Winnebago Elandan

Started by zaa, April 22, 2016, 12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaa

Hello everyone :)

Our 1986 Elandan has two roof mounted air conditioners, Coleman Delta TX. Last year, on the control module with the switches failed on the front AC. I borrowed the controller from the rear unit, and that's been working fine.

In an effort to get the rear working, I installed a digital thermostat with a built in pump safety delay, and attached that to a 120vAC 50A solid state relay. This setup worked fine for several months, but eventually, the SSR failed, and the pump ran constantly. I replaced the SSR, and within another month, the new one failed as well.

Can anyone suggest a relay that would be more suitable for this?

Thanks!
Z

Rickf1985

I think the solution is to replace the controller and eliminate the relay. I don't know why it is eating the relays but the unit is not designed to run that way.

RANGERRICK

I may have some parts for that upper and lower ac unit.Let me know some part #s

87Itasca

Rick is a good guy, who seems to have quite a few parts for these things. Definitely get with him on it. I ordered a fan motor from him, he shipped it quick and it got here unharmed.

I'm definitely going to follow this thread, as I have the same A/C units, thankfully, without your problem though.....for now.

For the record, ordering a new lower unit will not work will it? I don't know if they come with any controllers for the units that just need rewired, or if they are just the plastic covers you see.

zaa

Thanks, I will check on the part number. It's kind of a bummer though, I liked the features of the digital thermostat. I could set it to come on 30 minutes before we were expecting to be back, and it would be nice and cool inside.

RANGERRICK

zaa

It's been raining for days, the area where the camper is parked is a huge mud hole, and I don't feel like having to be rescued by a National Guard helicopter. The project is going to have to wait a bit.