Coolant coming out of exhaust manifold bolt holes normal?

Started by John.0, April 20, 2016, 12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John.0

Pulling the exhaust manifolds on a 360 engine to remove some broken bolts.When I removed the stud closest to the front of the engine on number 2 cylinder coolant came squirting out.Is this normal or is something horribly wrong?

legomybago

Not totally sure on a 360, I've never had one apart, but yes a 440 Chrysler's center exhaust manifold bolts/studs go directly into water jackets on the head. Did you lose all your coolant? I did when I found out the 440 was this way... ???
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Rickf1985

It would have to be a really bad problem to get water out of a bolt hole that should not have it. I would believe it is supposed to be. Be sure when you reinstall the bolts you put thread sealer on them. 3M makes a thread sealer just for that but I am out and I cannot remember the name of it.

John.0

Quote from: legomybago on April 20, 2016, 01:27 PM
Not totally sure on a 360, I've never had one apart, but yes a 440 Chrysler's center exhaust manifold bolts/studs go directly into water jackets on the head. Did you lose all your coolant? I did when I found out the 440 was this way... ???
I have read about the 440 doing this but can find nothing specifically about the 360.
I put the stud back in so I didn't loose much.

John.0

Quote from: Rickf1985 on April 20, 2016, 04:15 PM
It would have to be a really bad problem to get water out of a bolt hole that should not have it. I would believe it is supposed to be. Be sure when you reinstall the bolts you put thread sealer on them. 3M makes a thread sealer just for that but I am out and I cannot remember the name of it.

I'm sure hoping it's supposed to be.There was no coolant leaking around that area and there didn't seem to be any getting into the exhaust system so those are good signs I suppose.

I'll look into the 3M sealant if I can"t find it I bet some Ultra Copper would do the trick.

Rickf1985

DaveVA78Chieftain

Actually you want to use antisieze compound rather than sealing compound to prevent the portion of the bolts exposed to the water from rusting.  No fun drilling a broken bolt out and/or inserting a helicoil.
[move][/move]

John.0

Would anti seize do anything to keep the coolant from leaking out?Wouldn't a sealant be needed for that?
I am planning on putting a stud in the hole so not too worried about it getting stuck.I could use the anti seize on the nut though.

The whole reason that I'm at this point is that there are two bolts broken off and I am removing the manifold to to get to them.

My main concern is if that bolt hole is supposed to lead to coolant or not,do you know if it is?

Rickf1985

The sealant prevents the coolant from getting to the bolt hence, no rust.

hemi354az

Many studs penetrate block and cylinder head castings, and are called "wet studs" or "wet holes". It is uncommon for "bolts/capscrews" to be "wet". If your exhaust manifold has bolts . . . then it is likely that some PO took a nut loose but the stud came with it . . . and he replaced it with a bolt to get on the road. The end of the stud that goes into the casting is made with interference threads on that end (Class 5 ?) and are not supposed to come out . . . but the other end rusts to the nut . . . and they DO COME OUT. The threads in the casting are always a little buggered when that happens, so it is important to use a thread sealant when replacing a "wet stud" . . . and a HIGH TEMP thread sealant on exhaust studs. If you don't take the time to replace a stud properly . . . then you will have a coolant seep, drip, stream soon enough.

Start with draining the engine coolant. In fact might be the right time to replace the 50/50 Green Anti-Freeze and distilled water (only), since it should be done about every 3 years anyway. DO NOT USE THE ORANGE DEX-COOL ! DEX-COOL IS DEATH !

Replacement exhaust manifold studs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exhaust-Stud-Kit-3-8-24-x-2-In-Dorman-03103-/131774600941?hash=item1eae60d6ed:g:8QcAAOSwiylXBneh&vxp=mtr
There are other studs by ARP and others but pricey. You may find these SAME STUDS cheaper on E-bay, or at other fine auto parts stores near you. These Dorman studs have been used by many mechanics for many years.

Clean out the threaded hole in the cylinder head using a 3/8-16 thread CHASER (not a 3/8-16 tap, but a 3/8-16 thread CHASER !), then blow it out with air. Then apply Permatex 27200 - https://www.permatex.com/products/thread-compounds/permatex-high-temperature-threadlocker-red-2/ - to the stud.
(Loctite and Permatex are same Company, and use same numbers, ie,.Locktite 272)
Use two regular 3/8-24 regular nuts tightened together to install 3/8-16 end into cylinder head,all the way in till the thread STOPS, then loosen the two regular nuts from each other, and remove them. Let the stud "sit" at least a few hours, then . . .

Really good nuts for exhaust manifold, self locking, no other washer of any kind needed -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-3-8-24-Flange-Lock-Nuts-Grade-G-Stover-/261702110025?hash=item3ceea94b49:g:MLsAAOxyA4ZRLoN3

Use Permatex 133K Anti-sieze - https://www.permatex.com/wp-content/uploads/tech_docs/tds/80208.pdf - on the studs before you put on the nuts. Don't be chincy with application. The 8 oz jar/w-brush (Item 80078) is less than $10 and available lots of Auto Parts stores and even Ace Hardware. Use it on ANYTHING that you might want to "unscrew" later (week, month, year, decade . . .). I've had a jar over 20 years and it is still useable.

The COPPER exhaust manifold gaskets last a lot longer than anything. The 440 Big Block guys swear by them.

FYI-
Use Loctite 592 on head bolts.
Use Loctite 242 on intake manifold bolts.
Zoom ON ! Lou FMC#120 in Aridzona

John.0

hemi354az

But, but, but . . . Got looking on E-bay at different Small Block Mopar heads and exhaust manifolds . . .
Maybe some of the holes DID have bolts !  Please see -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Exhaust-Manifold-Hardware-Kit-Studs-Nuts-71-74-340-360HP-Dart-Cuda-Demon-/121794225088?hash=item1c5b8063c0:g:ndQAAOSwwbdWKPw0&vxp=mtr
. . . and don't believe everything you read on the Nets . . . especially from ME !
Sorry, Lou FMC #120

hemi354az

Damn ! I'm even dumber than I think ! The Small Block Mopar takes 5/16-18 size bolts/studs into the head, not 3/8-16 stated above !
I really apologize.  Lou. :-[

M & J

M & J

John.0

Quote from: hemi354az on April 21, 2016, 12:28 AM
But, but, but . . . Got looking on E-bay at different Small Block Mopar heads and exhaust manifolds . . .
Maybe some of the holes DID have bolts !  Please see -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Exhaust-Manifold-Hardware-Kit-Studs-Nuts-71-74-340-360HP-Dart-Cuda-Demon-/121794225088?hash=item1c5b8063c0:g:ndQAAOSwwbdWKPw0&vxp=mtr
. . . and don't believe everything you read on the Nets . . . especially from ME !
Sorry, Lou FMC #120

I think studs go in the wet holes and bolts in the rest.
Also studs could be in various locations to accommodate heat shields aswell?

legomybago

Rickf1985

And a LOT of vehicles have head BOLTS that go into the water jacket. That is why I keep the Permatex sealant around. Mike has the number 420 stuck in his head or some reason, no idea what it is supposed to mean. i?? W%

M & J

Someone clue Rick in before we get in trouble for being off topic. Him being an old hippie I figured he'd zone right in on that.
M & J

legomybago

Rickf1985