Starter Removal 440-3

Started by LJ-TJ, May 16, 2017, 10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Well,well,well. Just had to replace the starter on my 440-3. with the Y pipe. If you have the light duty starter you can with a lot of wiggling get it out. However if you have the heavy duty starter you will have to drop the exhaust. Now you say why did I write this. Because I just removed the starter from mine and when I went to put the new starter in it wouldn't fit by about a 1/4 inch. Spent hours trying to figure out what was wrong only to find out the armature on the heavy duty starter is a 1/4 inch longer. Eventually the only way I could it reinstalled was to drop the exhaust. Also I undid the bolt and moved the starter relay out of the way. Had I known all this stuff it would have taken only an hour to a hour and a half to replace the starter.
1975 Winnebago 440-3 Starter

AC/DELCO PROFESSIONAL CANADA
Starter Motor
Reman Starter Motor
Part# 336-1044

Part Number: 336-1044
Line Code: 033

turbinebronze

Hi LJ-TJ,
  Hate to tell ya (but I will anyway...) you might have been able to use the direct drive starter from a Dodge Magnum engine truck. You probably would have had to futz with the wiring connection, but it is a smaller starter, and it spins the motor over faster than you would think possible! 
  The old style gear reduction starters are slow to crank, and weigh a ton.  They new starter does have a little bit of offset, so the exhaust might have still been a problem, but I do love them...
Just my 2 cents, Craig.

LJ-TJ

Always like two cents worth and for sure your right about one thing. There HEAVY.

stanDman111

but they last a long long time & are priced right