tv antenna has no reception

Started by DON, April 15, 2016, 10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DON

Hi- I have 76 chieftain winnabago with, I think, original antenna.  I camp in T or C, New Mexico.  Can't get reception.  Tried replacing flat cable with coax.  Tried replacing old booster with new winguard booster.  12 volt seems to pop fuses.  Messed up tv . Any recommendations?  Am thinking of replacing original antenna, but am not sure which to get.  Looking at winguard.  Since I already have new booster, should I purchase non amplified setup?  Am thinking old antenna may be shorted somewhere.  Not a genius with stuff like that.  Don't want to risk harming tv again.  Thanks.

LJ-TJ

We bought one of these a few years ago from Sands RV in Ohio and are real pleased with it. Other than that if your in the U.S. and have Satellite tV I'd consider picking up a Cube satellite receiver.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS5&_nkw=Tailgater+Portable+RV+satellite&_sacat=0

M & J

I replaced our old crank down antenna with the latest generation from a salvage yard. I did a search of the forum because I remember us discussing this a year or two ago. I found this thread in the link with some of your options. I used TV Antenna in the search bar at the top of the forum page. I swapped in the latest version of the Winegard Wingman pictured in the thread below.

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,6395.msg26083.html#msg26083
M & J

brians1969

Jack antenna on top of a winegard mount.

JerryP

Found some very negative reviews on videos about this antenna....

Jerry P
89 Winnebago Chieftain 23RC
A work in progress

M & J

It hard to beat the Winegard Wingman.
M & J

bluebird

I agree.  If you already have a powered sensor, just add the wingman. I added the wingman to my Challenger several years ago and it worked great, big improvement. The gear part of my antenna is bad on my Daybreak so I just bought a new Winegaurd sensar 4 with the wingman already on. Don't have it on yet, waiting on the weather.

DON

Thinking about the wineguard sensar 4.  Complete on amazon for around 115 dollars.  Free shipping.  Not sure about omnidirectional style antennas.

Rickf1985

Glad this came up since my whole unit is trashed. How do you get the nut off of the rotator? I look up in there but I cannot see what kind of fitting it is in there.

M & J

Uh Google it. Have to make a notched tool out of pipe Rick.
M & J

Rickf1985

brians1969

I thought I would update my post on this topic.  I recently purchased the winegard sensor 4 antenna head to replace my Jack antenna in the hopes of improving reception...and it did!

Pretty much like the reviews said. Great improvement on the VHF channels (getting nothing to getting 3).
Fair improvement on the UHF channels (like 25%).

DON

Do you know what might cause issues like popping the fuse or more serious tv issue because I powered up generator while plugged in to 12 volt tv adapter?  When working off batteries, tv seems fine.  If I need to crank up generator, I have to try to remember to unplug 12 volt adapter so that don't blow fuse or damage tv.  I have a 76 winnebago chieftain with a winguard antenna.  Could it be a surge?  Is there something I can do to 12 volt adapter set up to prevent this?  I don't seem to have issue if using 120 volt plug in and power up generator.

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

yellowrecve

When you are cranking the gen., do you get a voltage drop at the 12V receptacle when the TV is not plugged into it?
RV repairman and builder of custom luxury motor homes, retired, well, almost, after 48 years.

DON

Need to check it that way.  Have feeling batteries are low.  Thanks.