Electronic distributor swap

Started by PipefitterGuy, April 13, 2016, 09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PipefitterGuy

Hey everyone. My distributor has to be replaced. It is leaking by and the cap and rotor are toasted. I was toying with the idea of this kit from Summit. It is a electronic vacuum advance kit that comes with module and harness. Is it worth changing out as a kit or will my old control module work just fine?  Hm?

M & J

Possibly. Can you post the link for the kit?
M & J

PipefitterGuy

legomybago

You could just replace the oil seal on the base of the distributor and get a new cap and rotor? If that's all that is wrong with yours....
If you already have electronic ignition (which I'm sure you do), just buy a new dizzy. Plug and play. You don't need a 200$ kit from Summit.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

PipefitterGuy

Hey thanks for the tip Lego. Yeah, I think I am going to just drop in new electronics plate and call it good. Any brand suggestions?

Rickf1985

legomybago

Quote from: PipefitterGuy on April 14, 2016, 11:22 AM
Hey thanks for the tip Lego. Yeah, I think I am going to just drop in new electronics plate and call it good. Any brand suggestions?
I'm not sure what you need? I thought your dizzy was just leaking oil at the base, and your cap and rotor are junk like you said in your original post? In order to keep it simple, just replace your distributor with a stock replacement from Napa or another 'fine' retailer of auto parts in your area. Don't buy the cheapest one either....

PipefitterGuy

Sorry should have been more clear. I did get a stock replacement from Napa along with cap and rotor. Plugs and wires as well. Why not do it all, right?!? Thanks for the tip. It would have been a waste to change out a perfectly good module. :D

PipefitterGuy

Refurbished replacement distributor is installed  from Napa and it works wonderfully with the new wires, plugs, cap and rotor. Purrs like a kitten( when fuel is dumped in the carb). Now onto why it's not getting fuel.... :'(  Fuel pump and filter ordered.

legomybago

LJ-TJ

Well done mate,well done. :)ThmbUp Ok your doing good.