Tune Up Part Recommendation

Started by Frank M, April 13, 2016, 09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank M

My 73 Brave is not running very well. Set the points and timing but still is missing bad. The plugs, wires and points do not have many miles on them but I don’t think I went for quality but rather for price. It has been sitting for a few years.  Can anyone recommend a good brand for tune up parts. My engine is a Dodge 318.  I am also thinking about rebuilding the carb or at least cleaning the it. Local store sells Duralast brand. Any suggestions? Thanks

joanfenn

OK Frank, are you testing our eyes? Hm?

M & J

73 Brave not running well. Has set timing and points but still not right. Plugs, points and wires not that many miles but went low cost instead of quality. Has been sitting for a few years but asking what is suggested for quality brand for tune up parts and is thinking about rebuilding the carb. Engine is a 318 and said local store carries Duralast brand.
Anyone have any suggestions.

The advantage of using a tablet here. I can zoom in like on a smart phone.
M & J

joanfenn

tiinytina

Go with the best you can afford as to parts...   Also add an appropriate amount of SeaFoam to the gas tank you may be dealing with old/bad gas, change fuel filters etc.   To test carb run fuel line into a fresh can of good gas, if all goes well it may be simplest to drain off the gas out of the tank rather than try to treat it. 
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Frank M

Sorry about the small text. I corrected it. Thanks

LJ-TJ

I usually get all my parts from N.A.P.A. Have you considered replacing the coil? Voltage Regulator and Ballest resistor. All I can say is I've had the weirdest stuff may my 318 run rought. Plus Tina's ideas are a good start as well. Hm?

joanfenn

That's OK Frank, I thought my eyes were shot. :angel:

Frank M

LJ-TJ I put a new coil in it two nights ago. Did not make any difference. I am leaning towards the points and plug wires. I am going to throw new wires, points,cap & rotor and fuel filter on it this weekend. I will also try running it directly from a gas can to see if she runs better.  If anything the old Brave is keeping me off the street and out the bars!