Wall Construction on 1985 Winnebago Elandan or other Similar Models

Started by stopngo, April 13, 2016, 12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerryH

The only tape I would use is Tremco 1/8 POLYshim Butyl glazing tape. Just about any glass shop should carry it in 40' rolls. It is black. Properly applied and used you should have no difficulty.
However, as many have discovered to their dismay, it is not nor meant to be a stand alone seal for this particular application.
Used correctly in conjunction with a correctly applied QUALITY and non-silicone caulking your windows should remain leak free at the frame to body connection for as long as you own the unit.
If you wish I can go through the steps and methodology for you. It would be somewhat lengthy. I do tend to add detail that is often self explanatory.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

What Terry said, By the way, that is what he did for a living so he knows a little bit about it. I just realized that the thread I was looking for is THIS thread! The beginning of the thread has the pictures of the wall construction. I thought I had the windows pictures here also but I can add them. Give me a little time to upload them and I will get them on here. Just a note, the butyl I used and the method Terry recommends are different. Go with his method, the results will be better.

Rickf1985

I found the pictures but they don't really show anything more than the pic's at the start of this thread. Removing and installing the windows is a matter of taking out all the screws from the frame inside the coach and taking off the inner frame and then going outside and carefully peeling the window away from the body. If you are going to caulk over the butyl you do not want to put on so much that it squeezes out like I did. You want a gap to add caulk to. Terry can explain all of that much better than I can.

Winnebago Warrior 94

Thanks for you help and I dont mind if you go into detail ..the more details the better it will turn out ..can you buy this at,Lowe's or a hardware store or do you have to go to a glass shop ..thanks friends  :)

Rickf1985

The plain butyl tape you can buy at RV stores and boating places, maybe at Lowes. You want to get quality stuff if you go that route but like I said, Terry was in this business his entire life, If you want to do it right and have it last the longest go with what he recommend. The white butyl that I used will dry out in four or five years.

TerryH

Quote from: Winnebago Warrior 94 on November 18, 2017, 04:58 PM ..can you buy this at Lowe's or a hardware store - NO  or do you have to go to a glass shop -  YES 
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Winnebago Warrior 94

thanks so much terry ..i wrote it down exactly what you said ..i will be calling a glass shop to check and see if i can locate the exact stuff you refferred me too ..thanks for also posting the link back to this tread ..i had reposted asking about the butyle tape  because i wasnt sure that i could find this thread again to find out what type of tape it was ..im not trying to be annoying im very appreciative of everyones help on here and i always try to thank them for their help and knowlede ..sorry im a pain sometimes i am new to the sight and hopefully i will get better and more experienced with finding things .i will be checking google and you tube and try to find out more info on those sights as not to be annoying and such a pain ..very happy for the help form everyone and i dont want to offend anyone