Anyone know a mechanic in Sanford/Orlando Florida area?

Started by cj, April 12, 2016, 10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cj

Hey there!

I just bought a 1974 Dodge Winnebago Brave (yesterday) in Florida that definitely needs some work before I can drive it home to Indianapolis.  It's been sitting since July according to PO. It starts up but then kind of cuts out (possibly bad gas) and the brakes are kind of spongy and I'd really like to get it looked over before I drive the 900 miles home.  Anyone have any suggestions on a good mechanic down there to check it out? Just need to get it road worthy enough to bring it home. Thanks in advance for any help! I'm really looking forward to getting to know this Winnebago. I did this all once before with a 77 VW bus camper, fixed it up, drove it for years, camped all over the US. I'm very excited to upgrade to a real motorhome...and I'm bracing myself for an even steeper learning curve than with the VW. Thanks again!
Oh, and if anyone has any good resources/suggestions for help in the Indy area that would be greatly appreciated too!

Cj

LJ-TJ

So have you see this rig yet? Is it a 440? Hmmmmm well you've come to the right place for some guidance. If it were me..........I'd go down and give the thing a real good going over. It really isn't that difficult. Your right in that it could be bad fuel,could even be a plugged fuel filter, the brake fluid my be down making them feel spongy . Make sure the tires are all good no side wall cracks, all the lights work, all the fluids are up. Get us some pictures. When you get ready to go let us know. Some of us are around a fare bit can maybe coach you along. My problem with these old girls is if a mechanic see one roll into his yard he tries to pay his kids collage tuition with the bill. Hm?

M & J

M & J

LJ-TJ

Shoot I missed that. These old girls are by far easier to fix that a VW D:oH! :)rotflmao

perlgurl

Where in Florida is this RV?  I lived in Tallahassee for six years before moving to Alaska so I might be able to steer you in the right direction depending on what part of the state the RV is located.

Also I've found that where I live the shop that does "big truck" work does the best work on my RV; the RV shop I first took my RV to for brakes keep my RV for two weeks, charged me for a BLEEP job and didn't even do the job correctly .  Since the engine and chassis are basically a Doge tow truck, you might try looking into places that handle bigger trucks instead of just standard auto shops.

perlgurl

Oh, der it says right there......"Sanford/Orlando area" .... that's about 4 hours from where I lived. 

I'd try one of the bigger truck shops if you need a mechanic :)

Rickf1985

From Tallahassee Florida to Fairbanks Alaska! That has to be a record for a distance move!!! 4,418 miles!!! And talk about climate change!