Project Winnebago: an RV that is nearly as old as me

Started by perlgurl, April 08, 2016, 09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

legomybago

Looks like a Holley 600 and an aftermarket aluminum intake. Valve covers leak. You got stroked on that tune up, they should have fixed all the oil leaks too at 900 bucks and changed the tranny filter. I hate hearing that. I bet they didn't take any wheels off to check the brakes.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

perlgurl

I think the reason they didn't do anything to the brakes was because they had serviced them the year prior, just before I parked it for the winter.  And they did the brakes AFTER the first shop I took it to made such a BLEEP of the brakes that I had to get them redone immediately after picking the RV from the first place I took it

First photo is from the BLEEP shop that charged me $500 and didn't fix what I needed fixed and then refused to work on the RV any more. Their loss, I've spent lots at this other shop and really like them.

The other photos detail what I asked the second and now only place I take my RV to for engine work.  Their shop hourly rate is par for Fairbanks.

The RV is currently getting my aftermarket grey tank installed at the RV place then it is going to the engine shop tomorrow.  I just don't feel like I can do an adequate job debugging the problem and still have at least another 1,000 miles planned of trips this summer, not to mention weekend jaunts to go kayaking in our area lakes and rivers :)

legomybago

Um....Looks to me like the mechanics went over the rig pretty good. You have a lot of work to do!! :( One step at a time

Rickf1985

5 cans of Brakekleen?! What did they do? Clean the entire engine! I do an entire brake job and use less than a full can. I guess times have changed, I did not charge for expendables, that was part of the shop overhead. I mean, do they charge for dirty rags? Hand cleaner? Toilet paper? D:oH!

legomybago

xerofall

King pins are inexpensive, but it was the labor that killed me... get metal instead of nylon if you can.

perlgurl

Quote from: Rickf1985 on June 08, 2016, 10:51 AM

(snipped for brevity)

Joyce, What I used to do you may not be able to do because of environmental reasons up there but if you can get several cans of Gunk engine cleaner and /or Castrol Super Clean and clean the engine off of all of the oil and crap then dry and dust the engine with baby powder. Then take it for a short ride and look it over. You will see real quick where the oil is starting to get the baby powder dirty.

The RV shop that was installing the grey tank took longer than I thought so now the RV goes to the mechanic on Tuesday this coming week for the oil leak issue. 

HOWEVER....

I'm thinking that I want to try this "clean the engine/baby powder" trick.  Other than using a gazillion rags to clean the engine, are there any tips or tricks on how to clean it since I cannot power wash it since the engine access is from inside the coach? 

Rickf1985

Go to the parts store and get your self GUNK engine cleaner nd then warm the engine up, not hot but warm and spray that stuff all over it. Put a sandwich bag or plastic over the carb and distributor. You may need a couple cans of the stuff. Let it soak for at least a half hour and hose it off. If you do not want to take the dog box off just get what you can from below but you really had a lot of oil up top. You do not need to use a nozzle on the hose although it helps. Maybe get the stuff underneath with the nozzle and then on top just run the hose without the nozzle to keep from splashing all over. After that I would go over the engine again with Castrol Super clean or Purple Power cleaner and again rinse it off. Then take your bags off and run it for a bit to dry things off and initially and let it sit to dry for a day and dust her down. Anyone working on it will thank you for the clean environment to work on I guarantee. I can't say as much for wherever you do the washing! W%   And here is what I would use, Both at Wally World.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gunk-Original-Engine-Degreaser-15-oz/16816129?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101&adid=22222222227009489836&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=57015098328&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=80333555568&veh=sem

http://www.walmart.com/ip/SuperClean-Tough-Task-Cleaner-Degreaser-1-gal/23752162

legomybago

Froggy1936

Rick, todays business,s do not have expenses/ expenables  ///if they purchase it it goes on someones bill It may be as shop supplys rags uniforms gas & light bills There all crooks now !  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

perlgurl

Apparently the five cans of Breakclean on my previous bills is because that is what they use to clean the engine! RV is back at the shop and I should hear back from them by midday tomorrow.

In other news, I've installed the water tank, made the couch/bed deeper to accommodate the tank, pulled out ALL THE GROSS OLD PLUMBING (gag!), widened the bathroom door, fixed the table/supports for the table bed (they weren't fitting quite right when I lowered the table), installed a bungee cord shoe rack and then spent 1.5 hours shopping for PEW and all the replacement fittings to redo all the plumbing.

RV is at the mechanics for the next few days so I'll get back to the plumbing this weekend.  The big trip to Denali is in just under two weeks! A whole week living in the RV, boondocking only!

perlgurl

To be clear and give credit where it's due, my husband helped me a lot on the couch/bed makeover.  I could have got there eventually, but he cuts much more straighter lines with the circular saw and his involvement in projects don't up with near as many injuries as mine do :)

Oh, and I got a fancy pants latch for keeping the door open. No more bungee for me!

Rickf1985

Looking good although that is the first time I have seen a door latch mounted that way. It is usually mounted with the arm facing to the rear and the catch on the door has the opening facing the hinge. As long as it works.

perlgurl

Quote from: Rickf1985 on June 14, 2016, 08:43 AM
Looking good although that is the first time I have seen a door latch mounted that way. It is usually mounted with the arm facing to the rear and the catch on the door has the opening facing the hinge. As long as it works.

Do you mean each plate should be turned 90 degrees? I thought I mounted it the same way I saw it on my friend's trailer, but I didn't read the instructions and I can be creative in my solutions some time :)

Rickf1985

90 degrees is correct for all the ones I have had or seen. I have never read the directions either, I am a guy. ;) They are probably a square hole pattern and if they are then you can just rotate them. OR, you can leave them that way and say you did it YOUR WAY! You seem like that type of girl. :)ThmbUp :D

TerryH

Quote from: Rickf1985 on June 14, 2016, 05:52 PM
90 degrees is correct for all the ones I have had or seen. I have never read the directions either, I am a guy. ;) They are probably a square hole pattern and if they are then you can just rotate them. OR, you can leave them that way and say you did it YOUR WAY! You seem like that type of girl. :)ThmbUp :D
I would say 180 degrees. That way, when the wind hits the door the bar portion cannot come out. You actually have to push the door open and lift the bar at the same time. But, I am also a guy and tend to ignore directions as well.
You did do it your way, and so far have accomplished a hell of a lot. Wish I would have your motivation. :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

Quote from: TerryH on June 14, 2016, 07:04 PM
I would say 180 degrees. That way, when the wind hits the door the bar portion cannot come out. You actually have to push the door open and lift the bar at the same time. But, I am also a guy and tend to ignore directions as well.

Canadians!? W% W% Actually you have to push the door back and slide the rod to unlatch it no matter which way it is pointed

If it were 180 degrees the rod would be sticking straight out while driving or anytime the door is closed. D:oH!

perlgurl

Just in from the mechanic shop:

"It's impressive how much this thing is leaking. It's leaking from everywhere."

Sigh.They are making up an estimate for me. Intake and valve gasket for sure. Plus it's leaking some coolant.

Something about a Bypass hose / coolant leaking / Thermostat housing / Upper and lower radiator hoses

INSERT BLEEP words of BLEEP here.

M & J

M & J

perlgurl

The problem is, it is broke.  I ran out of oil on my last trip and heard funny/bad engine noises that made me pull over and then it was either limp the RV 70 more miles and hope for help or backtrack 120 or so miles to get the RV home. 

Still waiting for my email estimate to come through. Fingers crossed.....

M & J

M & J

perlgurl

Oh. <hangs head in shame>

Can you tell where my mind is right now?   :-[

sasktrini

This is a great thread, and I'm sure you will get through your engine woes.  Nice purchase, and nice work on all your mini projects!
Corey aka sasktrini

perlgurl

Two more improvements made in response to spending a week in the RV:

1) folding table to extend counter space.  When folded up and locked into position the underneath also serves as a place with a pocket to put phone/table when sleeping in the couch.

2) firewood storage under the table/bed. after dealing with moving the firewood in a bucket/tote for our week long trip, this makes much more sense since the space under the table is mostly unused and the bed can be made with the wood under the table. 

JessEm

I just read all 4 pages and I have to say, you are really on the ball and doing a great job.

Vehicle problems and expenses can really test a persons patience but you're handling everything in stride. It's admirable.