How does the power work in my RV? (1973 D18 brave)

Started by perlgurl, April 06, 2016, 10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perlgurl

All the new things to make the power work better.

TerryH

I see in your picture a post for the battery hold down clamps, but no clamps.  You do intend to install them, correct?
There is a post here from DRMousseau regarding a crash and the importance of the clamps. I'll try to find it for you.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

perlgurl

Unless someone can help me figure out where I might find a clamp I'm thinking I am going to have to fabricate something since the clamp was missing when I bought the RV.

I was thinking I was going to use a heavy duty rubber bungee to secure them to the tray for the short term unless someone had a better idea.....

TerryH

Here is, I hope, the link I referred to:

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,11599.msg66557.html#msg66557

Re the clamps - most of the battery clamp portion that clamps to the top of the battery for any pick up or larger car could be adapted for your needs. Using flat bar and redi-rod, given your obvious and proven abilities, you should be able to make a suitable system.
Reason I brought it up to begin with is safety/fire concerns.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

M & J

Did I miss it? Does everything now work off 12v after all your work?
M & J

perlgurl

Quote from: M & J on April 21, 2016, 09:26 PM
Did I miss it? Does everything now work off 12v after all your work?

I believe everything I _need_ to work off 12V works.  That is not saying everything that should work is working, but I can run the interior lights, plus the stove and furnace.  I still need to double check the fridge.  I'm heading out for an overnight in Denali this weekend (my first!) and I'm sure that on Monday  I'll have a list of things I need to fix or give up on!

M & J

M & J

LJ-TJ

We all will be waiting with baited breath in panting anticipation of your return. This is exciting. After all the effort you've put in we're sure all will go well. Can't wait till Monday. Let the adventure begin. ???

Rickf1985

perlgurl

Quote from: TerryH on April 21, 2016, 08:53 PM
Here is, I hope, the link I referred to:

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,11599.msg66557.html#msg66557

Re the clamps - most of the battery clamp portion that clamps to the top of the battery for any pick up or larger car could be adapted for your needs. Using flat bar and redi-rod, given your obvious and proven abilities, you should be able to make a suitable system.
Reason I brought it up to begin with is safety/fire concerns.

This was a really good, albeit long read! And yikes about the guy's accident. 

I'm heading out today in search of a clamp for the batteries.  I'll update later with a photo what I end up using.

I might need to start a whole new thread on this, but I think I read that some of you folks drive with the propane main valve on and even some pilots on?  I had no idea!

I personally am planning on turning OFF ALL THE THINGS (in the coach) while driving since the idea of driving with propane and pilots makes me nervous.  Maybe over time and with experience I'll feel better about this, but for now all the things get turned off until I park the RV. 

We leave tomorrow morning for our adventure so I might not have an update until I get back.  Thanks for all the well wishes. I'm sure I'll have photos to share post-trip!

M & J

I don't know of anyone traveling with the propane valve on.
M & J

Rickf1985

Quote from: Froggy1936 on April 22, 2016, 01:37 PM
I used to drive with the fridge operating on propane. I do not do it any longer , There are major reasons why , If you develop a refrigerator system leak The Hydrogen in the system will cause a fire that will destroy the whole rig (you have seen pictures of this condition) Vehicles along the side of the road totally destroyed ! If you are involved in a rollover The possibility of a battery caused spark or fire is highly possible , No need to add propane to a leaking gasoline fire ! Fuel leaks are common on serious accidents frt or rear ! :'( Turn off propane wile moveing Frank

If you develop a system leak it is more likely to go up in flames when stopped then when the air is moving through there to disperse the hydrogen. It is going to poof at the campsite just as quickly if it leaks there. I don't subscribe to all the hype from the internet. How many have actually gone up in flames compared to how many are out there and running fine for 40 years? maybe 2%? And they have pretty much all been from one batch that was recalled. Other than that it is because the system was abused by not using it correctly. Not saying it should be left on or turned of, just saying not every absorption fridge is going to go up in flames. Not even close. The main reason to turn off the propane is to not have any pilots lit when getting gasoline.

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca