Need to swap 17" split ring 5 lug rims to radial rim

Started by outdoorsguy36, March 21, 2016, 10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoorsguy36

I own a 72' D24C Chieftain and it has split ring 17" 5 lug rims. I priced new 750/17 8 ply bias tires for $164 on Summit racing, but with flaps, tube, and mount cost it raised each tire to $270. i'm looking for a cheaper long term solution. The tires that are on there are 26 years old and are showing alot of cracks from dry rot in the side walls. I've read a few posts on here about 17.5 8 lug rims but not much about 17" 5 lug rims. If anyone has made this swap in the past or knows someone who can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

outdoorsguy36

I own a 72' D24C Chieftain and it has split ring 17" 5 lug rims. I priced new 750/17 8 ply bias tires for $164 on Summit racing, but with flaps, tube, and mount cost it raised each tire to $270. i'm looking for a cheaper long term solution. The tires that are on there are 26 years old and are showing alot of cracks from dry rot in the side walls. I've read a few posts on here about 17.5 8 lug rims but not much about 17" 5 lug rims. If anyone has made this swap in the past or knows someone who can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

khantroll

Hi outdoorsguy36,

The most cost-effective substitution for these 5 lug rims are 5 lug 19.5 solid rims for 1970s to early 1980s Apollo and Pace Arrow RVs. You may also find these same rims on some medium sized earth moving equipment (think tractors and backhoes) as well as some late 1970s International Loadstars (most of these have Dayton rims, but solid Budds were an option).

You can also buy them new from this place:http://www.wheelsnowinc.com/catalog/viewItem.php?id=551 . But I have no idea as to cost.

Alcoa makes new rims in both 19.5 and 17.5 http://www.alcoa.com/alcoawheels/north_america/en/product.asp?prod_id=3999&cat_id=925). They cost about 350 per rim.

Those 19.5s also cross-reference to Isuzu chassis of some kind, but I'm having difficulty nailing it down.

Dodgy71

Hi Outdoorsguy,
  I'm going to make this swap also. I got a quote on the steel 19.5" option from Wheels Now in late 2015. If you are interested, perhaps we can get a volume quote. Let me know. Also open to others that are ready to make this swap now, just let me know, as I am ready to execute now.
  As far as Alcoa, the link provided seems to only show "hub piloted" wheels.  Our Budd's are stud piloted, so I think that hub piloted wheels will be a problem.

outdoorsguy36

I've done a lot of searching and found an RV salvage yard in Arizona that has used Budd 89340 rims and will sell them for $150 each. so far that is the cheapest option I have found for the 5 lug 19.5" rims to fit my 72 Winnebago M500 Dodge chassis. I have searched Craigslist and Ebay too but these rims and lug pattern are very hard to find. Here is a link to the Arizona Salvage yard.
http://www.azrvsalvage.com/

Dodgy71

Outdoorsguy,
  Are you going to get them?  If not I will.