Very Touchy Brakes-73' Indian D24

Started by Jonbbrew, March 19, 2016, 12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonbbrew

Hi all,
Returnee here with new login' as its been a while....getting back to my project and now trying to tackle my brake issue. They work pretty well, BUT they are touchy to say the least. They are either on or off. Feathering is a nonstop chore when cruisin'. I hope it's not something like a hard to find part like a booster or something.

Ideas? Where to start?

Thanks all!
Keep Er' Goin' Eh!

Jonathan

SLEETH

time to pull the wheels & look for a leaking hydraulics

EldoradoBill

Wet shoes. I had the same symptoms so I pulled a rear drum on Wednesday, off it came along with about a cup of gear oil. New shoes seals cylinders and hardware arrived on the front steps earlier this afternoon. Fun times!

Bill

Jonbbrew

Thanks would never guess that since there's no signs from the outside of leaking axles or cylinders.

Could the boosters be an issue too?
Keep Er' Goin' Eh!

Jonathan

SLEETH

legomybago

Usually you get a "smell" when hot, if you have contaminated brake shoes, stinky, stinky. Not always though I'm sure. A broken brake return spring could cause this, a wheel bearing way to loose or bad can cause this too. Time to jack the rig up and inspect the brakes AND the front end components. Rust forms on the drums when these babies set also, it takes a little driving for the brakes to smooth out sometimes. If you don't find anything obvious with the brakes, then take a look at your hydrovac booster, maybe a broken spring or an issue with a vacuum check valve? hard to say....
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Jonbbrew

Thanks all. Havent had time to dig in, but boy these rigs are HEAVY!. Wheels too!. Takes some big tools for these big rigs, even just to get the wheels off.
Keep Er' Goin' Eh!

Jonathan