Gluing paneling to Thermopanel?

Started by dulcimerbob, March 18, 2016, 08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dulcimerbob

Trying to glue paneling to the walls of my 66 winnie . All foam and Power Grab from Loctite has been a miserable failure. Any ideas ? Thanks

LJ-TJ

dulcimerbob

RANGERRICK

If you are trying to glue it to styrofoam you will need a spray glue for styrofoam so it will not melt it.If you are trying to glue it to wood try using 3M spray glue,you can get that from Homedepot.The spray glue for poloystyrene is called sta-put 30.00 a can from RV dealer

PipefitterGuy

What product should be used to glue the thermopanel to the RV skin? I am going to start a similar project on my 75 Chieftain. I have water damage that needs new paneling and thermopanel.

jdawg

I recently spoke to an owner rep. at Winnebago and he told me 3M 74(he said red but I can only find orange) spray foam is what they use. Now I researched and contacted the 3M commercial side and Super 77 also looks like a good alternative but I have yet to try either of them. I will let you know after I purchase and test both products. Both are supposed to be foam friendly.

jdawg

Rickf1985

I had called Gorilla asking about some glue for some outside work I was doing and I was told that epoxy was what I needed but their epoxy was not waterproof and they suggested 3M. I appreciate that kind of honesty to steer you to another company when their product is not exactly what you need. I DID see that they have a foam friendly adhesive though. Didn't look into it too far since that is not what I was doing at the time. You could call them on it.

GirlandWinne

Did you ever find a glue that worked for you?  I will be doing this soon and wondered which worked best.  I have a 73 brave I'm just getting started on!

ClydesdaleKevin

Here is a very good cheat for gluing ANTHING to Styrofoam or ANY kind of foam.  Coat it (paint it) with Elmer's glue first, and let it dry completely.  Then you can use any kind of adhesive you want.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

RANGERRICK

Stay-put works very well.The red glue comes in large containers and you have to spray it on with a spray gun like a body shop uses. You can contact All-rite to see if they have anything.What ever you buy,test it first.

Froggy1936

This is what my son in law uses at His countertop manufacturing business .To glue laminate to wood. Very strong grip ! Only takes a light coating to do the job ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.