Winne Vectra Parking Brake Doesn't hold on downhills

Started by etchamp, March 14, 2016, 02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etchamp

I have a 95 Vectra that the parking brake will not hold when the camper is parked downhill but It will hold when it is parked uphill. I need to take it apart to inspect but cannot find a place for the parts. My local Napa is always spot on but they do not show a listing for this.

Any help here to locate the parts?

bluebird

Make sure what year the chassis is before you order parts. Your chassis could be a 93 or 94 also. You have to go by the vin number to find out the year.

http://www.stepvanparts.com/gm_p30_chassis_p1.htm

etchamp

BrianB

Check out my RV trip planning & prep: http://alaska.boorman.us/

The movie Twister - that research instrument? Yeah, she figured it out.

bluebird

Nope, a 95 will have the auto park brake, that runs off of power steering fluid. The shoes may be the same, but the adjustments will be totally different.

etchamp

It does have a black box beside the drive shaft that has a electric over hydraulic pump. I replaced the RGS that is inside it last fall.

bluebird

Then yours has the second design. They did have some trouble with the switch and the cylinder leaking. My 95 chassis Challenger had the 1st design, and my Daybreak has the second. The set of GM manuals only showed the first design on the 95.

etchamp

I really hope it's just an adjustment issue but I want to be prepared when it comes apart with new shoes. It just rolled over 29k so I would hope the shoes are good unless it had a pad fall off.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

etchamp

That hurdle is crossed!! New shoes, hardware, and new seal and its back to good. That fire has been put out!

Now, onto the next one.

bluebird

Switch wasn't leaking? What caused the shoes to wear out?

etchamp

Pivot lever was seizing up. Actuator could push the shoes out but when released it would not return all the way allowing them to drag.

bluebird

Thanks for sharing. I'll be checking mine because my coach came from Mi. and they used it on salty roads. She's pretty rusty under the front end. I've been cleaning it up but got a lot of work to do.