Rooftop A/C Fan Shafts Rusted Off!

Started by 87Itasca, March 08, 2016, 01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

87Itasca

Hi Rick,

I appreciate that, you're a class act in my book. I'll send you a PM.

Everyone, new motor came in yesterday, got it installed, and the blower wheel roared to life!

Unfortunately, the compressor did not. The lights would dim, but the compressor made no attempt to engage. I tried the old "beat it with a rubber mallet" trick with no avail. I really felt defeated. The whole reason I ordered a replacement fan was because I made sure the compressor still turned on.

So, I just let it run while I work on installing my replacement Fantastic Vent fan above the kitchen. After about an hour, I didn't hear it trying to engage anymore. I walked over to it, put my hand on the compressor, and it was warm! I put my hand on the low pressure line, and it was cold! Hooray!

So far so good. We will see long term if there is any damage, but for now, I'm glad it's functional. The only thing I could think was me running it for 15 seconds with no fan then shutting it off caused the head pressure to get too high, and it couldn't engage until after enough attempts, it was able to move enough to lower the pressure. Just a guess, but it's all I could think of. Compressor makes no odd sounds to lead me to believe it's dying.

M & J

M & J

87Itasca

Hi all,

Evidently some damage has been done here. When I turn the unit on, the compressor "Tries" to start for 10 minutes or so. Once it finally does start, all is well, it runs quietly, and the air stays cold. It's only when you let it sit for a while you have a hard time getting it to engage.

Would a "hard-start" kit be a good idea until it decided to bite the dust for good? I would blame a faulty startup capacitor, but since this started right after the fan motor incident, it likely ran until something burned up, and this is the result.

Rickf1985

When you say it tries to start, what is it doing?

RANGERRICK

Thanks For the comment,i refunded your payment for the motor.I am sorry it did not work out for you.Good luck with the compressor.
Thanks Bill

87Itasca

Rick,

The fan comes on, then in a couple seconds, when the compressor would normally kick on, the fan speed drops slightly, and the lights dim slightly (as they typically do when the compressor kicks on), but the compressor doesn't make a sound. The "LOW POWER MODE" red-light kicks on until it tries again in a minute or so. The process repeats until it finally engages. Then the system runs normally.

Thank you Rick, I appreciate it. Are you sure you don't want to keep your part for shipping and packing?

Rickf1985

That sounds like a bad capacitor. Or a bad connection.

87Itasca

I am more than willing to try and replace that first. I just think the fact that it happened right after this incident is a little too coincidental. We will see.

Lord, time to climb BACK on the roof. That poor ladder.  :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

legomybago

Quote from: Rickf1985 on April 26, 2016, 08:54 PM
That sounds like a bad capacitor. Or a bad connection.
I agree. Isn't their a "Time Delay, or a Start Capacitor"? That capacitor is about to blow, or a bad connection Hm? Look and see if that capacitor is swollen up
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Rickf1985

I lean a 6 foot step ladder against the regular ladder so I am not stressing the body all the time. The camper body and mine.